Kona 3G vs DeckLink HD Extreme 3D

Posted by Rui Barros 
Kona 3G vs DeckLink HD Extreme 3D
January 26, 2011 09:52PM
Hi,

It has been a while since my last visit to Café.
I hope that everyone here is Ok.
I'm getting ready for a new Mac Pro for HD content and my only remaining question is which card should buy.
A Kona 3G or a DeckLink HD Extreme 3D?
Can someone, please, give me a help on the decision.

Thanks

Rui Barros
Editor Colorist Trainer
Lisbon, Portugal
RTP Post-Production
Apple Certified Trainer FCP 7
Apple Certified Pro FCP 7
Re: Kona 3G vs DeckLink HD Extreme 3D
January 26, 2011 10:20PM
List your needs. What type of footage will you be capturing and working with? What type will you be outputting?
Do you have the need for analog capture? Are you pretty technical and can deal without the really good tech support AJA offers?

Will you be getting RESOLVE anytime soon?

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
January 26, 2011 10:50PM
Hi Shane,

The footage to capture will be HDCAM and some SD Digital Betacam.
Importing, XDCAM, EX3, P2, etc... Analog, probably ,for archive footage.
No major problems dealing with technical details.

Kona is probably my choice but some words of advice are always good in this situations?

Thanks

Rui Barros
Editor Colorist Trainer
Lisbon, Portugal
RTP Post-Production
January 26, 2011 11:15PM
The Kona doesn't have analog inputs. SDI only. Analog OUTPUTS, if you get the K-Box for it, but no inputs. There is no doubt that the AJA cards are the best out there. If you can afford them, get them. BMD does make good cards that work well, just tech support is lacking. And the Decklink has analog inputs. I'm using it now. the Kona will require another $500-$1000 adapter to get analog input.

I also have and really like the Matrox MXO2. Also has Analog inputs. I work on a lot of docs so I need that. The Kona 3 doesn't do that, so I don't have that card. And the Kona LHi only offers one SDI output, and only 8 channels of embedded audio...that's why I prefer the MXO2 and now the Decklink Extreme 3D.

Even though I know I will never work on anything 3D.

AJA has a more user friendly software interface. Matrox and Decklink take a bit getting used to, and aren't all that self evident. AJA wins there. And the tech support is bar none... You get what you pay for.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
January 26, 2011 11:55PM
Shane,

Has always you are the best.
I'm going for AJA.

Thank you very much.

Rui Barros
Editor Colorist Trainer
Lisbon, Portugal
RTP Post-Production
January 26, 2011 11:58PM
Good choice!

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
January 27, 2011 03:41AM
> BMD does make good cards that work well, just tech support is lacking.

Not sure what you mean by tech support is lacking? I usually call in and I get put through to their engineers right away.

I do prefer the AJA interface. But the BMD isn't hard to set up.

www.strypesinpost.com
January 27, 2011 04:00AM
They might have gotten better. But they were notoriously bad. And my initial experiences were bad. But now I have the Extreme 3D card and like it. The interface is a bit more tricky, and some features lacking (No SD pillarbox upconvert, for example)...but it is good hardware.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
January 27, 2011 05:51AM
I'm not sure about the US office. I can drop you the contact to their tech support team over here if you want. Never got a delay from them. Excellent support. AJA seems good too, but they don't have an office here, so I can't call them, but they do reply to emails promptly, so I won't complain. I haven't dealt with Matrox yet.

One more thing to point out, and that is that you are going to be using the DaVinci Resolve, you need the Blackmagic Extreme 3D card.

www.strypesinpost.com
January 27, 2011 04:38PM
I have to say the "BM has bad support" became a bit of an urban myth - the issue was always only the USA and even then it didn't take BM long to rectify this. But I know too well that when you get burned you don't forget easily!

For the last few years BM have been and are every bit as good as AJA and despite the cost difference the DLE3D hardware isn't $2K behind the AJA K3 - in most respects their products are on par. Certainly for what you require Rui.

Also BM are a LOT better at updating drivers and fixing issues and in every case of updates of OS or QT or FCP et al BM are out with an update almost immediately. AJA lack a little in this respect often taking weeks/months to fix issues - the Snow Leopard IOHD issue for instance.

I have both AJA and BM products both are great - both work well - but unless you REALLY need a Kona 3 for the one or two options it has over the BM solution then the Decklink will save you a lot of money.

AJA Kona 3 for running Avid DS (via Windows 7) or Smoke Mac.

Conversely the Decklink Extreme 3D for running Resolve.

However I have read that both AJA, Blackmagic and Autodesk are talking regarding making their products compatible with the "competitors" current product niche eg: Resolve/Smoke but they have said they will not write the drivers - this will be for the respective company to do. Love that - spread the love guys - more companies need to be this open!

Now if we can just get Avid off their "high hobby horse" and opening MC5 up to the BM and AJA cards then we can finally get everything on one powerful system instead of having to obtain a PCIe expansion chassis!

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
January 27, 2011 06:08PM
I'm glad they fixed their tech support. It was pretty bad for a while here in the US. I am now using a BMD Extreme 3D and am liking it. The user interface is a bit more difficult, but not sure it is worth the extra $1500 for that interface.

I have used all the capture cards...and like all of them. If you are on a limited budget, I do recommend the Decklink or Matrox options. They work perfectly fine.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
January 28, 2011 01:36PM
Rui Barros Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> The footage to capture will be HDCAM and some SD
> Digital Betacam.
> Importing, XDCAM, EX3, P2, etc... Analog, probably
> ,for archive footage.

The LHe has analog in and is a great card if you don't need Red, 2K, dual link and 3D.

Chi-Ho Lee
Film & Television Editor
Apple Certified Final Cut Pro Instructor
January 28, 2011 07:49PM
And upconversion. The LHe only does downconversion.

www.strypesinpost.com
January 29, 2011 04:22AM
"I do recommend the Decklink or Matrox options."

I recently used a Matrox MXO2 from an old (2008) MBP to output a ProRes 422 HQ from FCP to an HD Satellite Broadcast for the European Launch of the Nintendo 3DS - worked a treat.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
February 01, 2011 08:05PM
Thank you for your help.

About the tech support, well, for those of you live in US and northern Europe, your worse tech support is our best tech support in south Europe.

Rui Barros
Editor Colorist Trainer
Lisbon, Portugal
RTP Post-Production
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics