30 Second Video clip size aveage Mpeg2 1280x720

Posted by bsanderson 
30 Second Video clip size aveage Mpeg2 1280x720
January 31, 2011 03:48PM
I just wanted to see if this file size was in range of what other people may be getting.

I want to make sure I am getting the smallest file size vs quality video.

I have a 30 second video clip with static background and a cube in cube out transition on a image and they are averaging about 55meg in size. at MPEG2 format using FCP compressor settings for 1280x720.

Anyone have smaller files on output with good quality.

I have to use Mepg2 since the display unit only support mpeg2.

thanks
Re: 30 Second Video clip size aveage Mpeg2 1280x720
January 31, 2011 06:09PM
bsanderson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just wanted to see if this file size was in
> range of what other people may be getting.
>
> I want to make sure I am getting the smallest file
> size vs quality video.
>
> I have a 30 second video clip with static
> background and a cube in cube out transition on a
> image and they are averaging about 55meg in size.
> at MPEG2 format using FCP compressor settings for
> 1280x720.
>
> Anyone have smaller files on output with good
> quality.
>
> I have to use Mepg2 since the display unit only
> support mpeg2.
>
>
> thanks

Why don't you take your original settings in Compressor and create several copies as additional targets in the job? Then, edit each one and change the bit rate settings to a lower value. Visually compare the results until you notice a difference. There is no one setting "that just works"...

-Dave
January 31, 2011 08:06PM
>I have to use Mepg2 since the display unit only support mpeg2.

What display unit?

www.strypesinpost.com
January 31, 2011 09:20PM
strypes Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >I have to use Mepg2 since the display unit only
> support mpeg2.
>
> What display unit?

BrightSign digital display device...

See this thread for more info...

-Dave
February 01, 2011 01:52AM
Thanks! I completely missed that one.

Basically what D-Mac said. Do selective tests on sections that are about 3-5 seconds long containing fast movement and fast changes in brightness. Run that across multiple bitrates, and keep going until you find the lowest bitrate that works for your movie. On a talking head with h.264, I was getting somewhere around 0.1 bits per pixel. Below that, things would start to get pretty nasty. Of course that increases if the shot contains more changes.

www.strypesinpost.com
February 01, 2011 11:52AM
thanks I figured it would be trial and error to get the best quality and lowest file size.

since these videos have to be download over wireless connection to the display server nightly.
February 01, 2011 01:26PM
BrightSign does play other formats other than mpeg2, it just wants to see a .mpg at the end of the name.

We have created content 8 of them that are playing different bits and pieces of video and pictures.

We are about to update all the content and do our testing again.

We did about a month's worth of testing before we figured out what worked for us.

One note, don't let the BrightSign do the scaling for you!!!

We were very excited when the BrightSign Author came as a beta to us, (Its only available for a PC at the current time) Utilizing the authoring program meant we did not have to create our own .cvs documents to run the shows. Man was that a pain in the %&% when we got the players the documentation on them were slim at best. The technology was there, but the manuals at that time had not been fully written.

One final note on the BrightSigns, keep spare power supplies on hand, they do have a tendency to go out after a year or so of 10+ hrs days of running. One way to tell that the power supply is going is if your audio starts to slip. Brightsign seems to know of the flaw and will send out replacement power supplies, we are on our second set of them.

Good luck!
February 03, 2011 05:15AM
thanks for the Bright Sign tips. I was messaging and BS is planning to support native quicktime h.264 at some future point beta 3.5 from what I hear...

I just rolled out my first box yesterday...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics