Print to Tape / Deck / Timecode

Posted by Danimal 
Print to Tape / Deck / Timecode
February 01, 2011 06:04PM
I'm trying to record some footage onto a tape that has previous footage on it. I want to get back to the first frame on the tape (head of the tape), but I can only get within a few seconds of it. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong or how to get back to the first frame? Is it reachable through the deck or final cut?

Setup/Workflow:
fcp (6.0.6) timeline to panasonic ajhd1400 via firewire.
On the ajhd1400 the TCG is set to EXT and the counter is set to TC. Inputs are set to 1399.

I have a RS422 controller if it'd help.

Thanks.
Re: Print to Tape / Deck / Timecode
February 01, 2011 06:22PM
Sorry I misread the OP. I thought we were talking about capture not output. I pulled out my original, useless response and point to Jude's advice below.
February 01, 2011 06:32PM
If there is nothing on the tape you need, I'd suggest re-blacking the head for a few minutes with FCP first to remove the old footage, since, as V pointed out, you should never have anything right at the head of the tape because of the need for preroll.

If you black the tape it will also generate fresh timecode to grab.

In any jobs that we send out to tape, there is always 30 seconds of bars and tone before any footage, and preferably, 1 minute of black or bars after.

February 01, 2011 06:33PM
Also, the first and last 30 seconds of tape are the most likely to be damaged, which is another reason to avoid them.

February 02, 2011 05:30AM
As Jude mentioned, black and code the tape, then lay bars and tone and dump to tape. You Don't need the first frame of the tape.

www.strypesinpost.com
February 02, 2011 10:37AM
Did you manage to fix the problem then?

Marcus

Marcus T
iCreate! digital|post
12 Core Mac Pro, Snow Leopard, FCP 7.0.3, 8Gb Memory.
February 02, 2011 03:08PM
Sorry for the delay. I got pulled to another job. Hopefully I'll get to try this before the days end.

Thanks for the feedback.
February 03, 2011 02:41PM
In order to use the black and code you need to use the RS-422, right? I was trying to use FireWire...
February 03, 2011 07:44PM
No. firewire should work, as long as the deck is controllable over firewire.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics