OT: Happy Chinese New Year!

Posted by Ben King 
OT: Happy Chinese New Year!
February 03, 2011 03:18PM
For all those celebrating the start of the Lunisolar Calendar have a great week and be prosperous!

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
Re: OT: Happy Chinese New Year!
February 03, 2011 03:43PM
Kung Hei Fat Choi!!
February 03, 2011 04:06PM
Happy Year of the

www.derekmok.com
February 03, 2011 05:43PM
Damn. They breed big rabbits in China

Michael Horton
-------------------
February 03, 2011 06:22PM
Gong Gong Shi

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
February 03, 2011 11:48PM
Actually the people are really small...

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

February 03, 2011 11:49PM
I believe those are the giant rabbits that were bred in Germany or somewhere like that. There was a follow up story of the breeder being visited by suits from North Korea who wanted some breeding pairs to start a rabbits for food program in NK as a way out of one of their terrible famines.
Don't know if anything came of it.
The QI show in the UK (Stephen Fry, yay!) had a question about rabbits and the answer contained the fact that if you ate only rabbit meat you would eventually die because the human body can absorb no vitamins or nutrients other than a little protein from rabbit meat.

Pointless dribs and drabs of useless info. That's what the internet is for.

I am going to hit some Dim Sum this weekend something fierce. 2 plates of egg custard tarts to myself.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
February 04, 2011 12:53AM

www.derekmok.com
February 04, 2011 10:33AM
Yep. Thems the one Derek.
Have we discussed my concept for extreme food based slothfulness?
I call it Dim Sum High Tea Tapas. One whole day, eating small plate foods and drinking tons of tea. First, chinese style Dim Sum with Jasmine or Green tea then on to UK style High Tea with sandwiches and cakes with Ceylon or Earl Grey, and finally ending with Spanish tapas and Sangria which I count as a fruit tisane using wine instead of water. Bingo bongo there's your day.
It's probably not a good restaurant concept but I might set up some sort of tour here in Toronto where we skip from Dim Sum dive to Fancy hotel and end up at a Tapas bar. Who's with me?

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
February 04, 2011 10:33AM
Damn! I love those custards!

Chi-Ho Lee
Film & Television Editor
Apple Certified Final Cut Pro Instructor
February 04, 2011 11:48AM
Aren't those portugese egg tarts?

www.strypesinpost.com
February 04, 2011 12:07PM
Actually, "Chinese egg tarts" may not have been native Chinese:

[en.wikipedia.org]

Many bakeries in the Asian communities around L.A. sell two styles of egg tarts -- one with a crispy, flaky, greasy crust (as above) and one with a hard, starchy, crunchy crust. But both may have originated in England (not surprising, since apparently the tart didn't appear in Hong Kong until the 20th Century, well into English colonial rule). It's consistent with my impression of Chinese cuisine -- Chinese desserts tend to be light and watery rather than heavy and cake-like, and I can't think of any native Chinese custards.

www.derekmok.com
February 05, 2011 08:32AM
I live in a part of Toronto that is a few minutes walk away from Little Portugal, Little Italy and Chinatown.
The Portuguese custard tart and Chinese egg tart divide comes up at any pot luck party where someone will inevitably forget to make something and stop off at a Portuguese bakery an get a tray of tarts. Portuguese tarts have a thin brulee style top on them and the filling is more custard than egg with a starchy mouthfeel. The crust tends toward crumbly. I am not a big fan of these.
Chinese egg tarts are quite eggy, less sweet, and the crust is very light and flakey.

The dessert places in Chinatown have lots of cakes and tarts but their quality is not the same as the desserts you can get at the better dim sum places. Chinese style of desserts is an acquired taste and there are a few I like but my heart and stomach will always lie with the Austrian style of cakes and pastries.
It's almost Dim Sum time...

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
February 05, 2011 10:53AM
This should be a sticky thread!

Chi-Ho Lee
Film & Television Editor
February 05, 2011 12:48PM
For St.Patricks Day we should have a bunch of lepricons jumping all over the forum. Oh Ben?

Michael Horton
-------------------
February 05, 2011 03:01PM
After being thwarted entry to two places this morning due to renovations and a power outage in a kitchen, my wife and I found our way to a previously untried dim sum restaurant across the street from our favourite. I made a promise earlier in this thread,
Andrew Kines
I am going to hit some Dim Sum this weekend something fierce. 2 plates of egg custard tarts to myself.

and voila..

Shot, edited and uploaded on an iPhone.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
February 05, 2011 05:27PM
Now THAT was tasty! Going out to dinner tonight

Michael Horton
-------------------
February 05, 2011 05:55PM
Yipes! Those tarts don't look too fresh... eye popping smiley

www.derekmok.com
February 05, 2011 06:16PM
Derek they were fine. Not THIS good or THIS good but we were beggars not choosers this morning. Garlic green beens were very tasty and bamboo fungus and mushroom dumplings were well done.
Damn, I am hungry again. Meal number 4 coming up. Keeping this rig on the road takes a lot of fuel...

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
February 05, 2011 06:18PM
I took an old friend to dinner on Chinese New Year. I was laughing at myself because I ordered Kung Pao Chicken...but it turned out to be great.

Watch out if you ever have to take somebody from Hong Kong to any kind of food. They's some real snobs out there when it comes to dining out.

www.derekmok.com
February 05, 2011 06:21PM
Hong Kong natives are just snobs in general! Man, they annoy me in about 15 mins!

Chi-Ho Lee
Film & Television Editor
February 05, 2011 06:43PM
Ohhh egg tarts. I so want dim sum now. We have an excellent one near us in the city, but there's no reservations, so there's always about 50 people standing outside waiting to get called in to eat. And the place is HUGE. I also really love the coconut milk jelly cubes.

Happy Rabbits to all!

February 05, 2011 08:52PM
Are you still coming into town? I'll take you to San Gabriel for a chomp!

www.derekmok.com
February 06, 2011 06:46AM
Ah, you'd have to bring it to the airport. Just a couple of hours in town this time, sadly.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics