AUdio Render

Posted by xavpil 
AUdio Render
February 13, 2011 01:24PM
I dragged my clip in the sequence and clicked "yes" to conform the sequence settings to the clip settings.
However the audio has to be rendered....
Re: AUdio Render
February 13, 2011 01:26PM
What format is your audio? FCP likes audio to be uncompressed pcm 48khz.

www.strypesinpost.com
February 13, 2011 01:38PM
32 bit floating...
February 13, 2011 01:52PM
I kinda doubt they are floating, as FCP has a tendency to notate audio a certain way. How were the clips created? Can you launch a clip in QuickTime 7, hit apple I and grabb a screen shot of that?

www.strypesinpost.com
February 13, 2011 02:11PM
Not too sure how to attach a pix...
It's a .DV file
QT opens fine.
Info says:
DV Stereo, 48 000Khz
February 13, 2011 02:19PM
Convert that to a Quicktime file. Not sure how you got the DV file to start with. FCP does not play too nicely with dv streams without a quicktime wrapper. Not sure if there is a muxer for that.

www.strypesinpost.com
February 13, 2011 02:35PM
strypes Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Convert that to a Quicktime file. Not sure how you
> got the DV file to start with. FCP does not play
> too nicely with dv streams without a quicktime
> wrapper. Not sure if there is a muxer for that.

I believe that both QuickTime Player 7 and MPEG Streamclip will let you open a DV stream file and do a "Save As..." to change the file wrapper format. I don't know if there is any re-compression occurring (but it doesn't seem so). Someone would have to confirm/refute that...

-Dave
February 14, 2011 02:57AM
32-bit floating? From what?

I think the standard FCP loves is 48K, 16-bit PCM. No wonder it needs a constant render...

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytip:
Play from Playhead to Out Mark with Shift-P !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
February 14, 2011 03:33AM
It's probably just an FCP notation that the audio will be mixed down in floating point, not that it is actually float.

www.strypesinpost.com
February 14, 2011 06:11AM
as strypes says, FCP doesn't like .DV files.

doesn't hate them, mind you, but as you can see, the audio needs rendering.

years ago i tried exporting some .DV files (captured in iMovie) to standard DV,
so as to work with them in FCP without audio renders.
the picture quality took a small hit when i did that.

next time i wound up with a big .DV file, i just put the whole thing in the timeline and rendered the audio.
that job was a cut-down, so it was easy to work with,
and, unlike picture renders, FCP did not lose or forget them,
so i could trim the audio, and extend it back out, and the render was still there.

if i cut the audio back in from the viewer, then it needed rendering of course,
but working in the timeline (extending, cut/copy/paste) worked.

nick
February 14, 2011 07:08AM
You could actually batch export everything out of FCP. Since the picture doesn't need rendering, you should be fine

www.strypesinpost.com
February 14, 2011 08:05AM
in my experience, you do go a generation on the picture, unfortunately.

the current video is muxed with the audio,
no way to un-mux it without re-compressing.
in FCP at any rate.

you could batch export JUST the audio,
bring it back in and re-sync with the picture.

that's a drag, and i was taking some small amount of hope from the original post: "I dragged my CLIP (singular) into the sequence"

the quality hit may not be too much of an an issue, give it a go.
when i tried it, i thought i saw a difference.
it was years ago, it could have been when FCP had a dodgy DV codec
remember that? i saw it mainly in blocky blacks... maybe it had an effect on what my DV stream conversion.

heck, you could always cut it in iMovie, which does use DV Stream.

nick
February 14, 2011 08:59AM
D-Mac
strypes Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Convert that to a Quicktime file. Not sure how you
> got the DV file to start with. FCP does not play
> too nicely with dv streams without a quicktime
> wrapper. Not sure if there is a muxer for that.

I believe that both QuickTime Player 7 and MPEG Streamclip will let you open a DV stream file and do a "Save As..." to change the file wrapper format. I don't know if there is any re-compression occurring (but it doesn't seem so). Someone would have to confirm/refute that...

-Dave

Coincidentally (quite!), someone just asked me to edit an event that was recorded to two cameras. The event was recorded as anamorphic DV. In one case, the camera recorded both to tape and to a MacBook Pro using iMovie (which made .dv files). I was given both sets of tapes (two for each camera) and a set of .dv files for the one camera.

After importing the .dv files into FCP, I dropped a few clips into an anamorphic DV sequence. The audio tracks showed red render bars.

So, I took the .dv clips into MPEG Streamclip and did a "Save As..." to put them into .mov QT wrapper files (no transcoding). I then exported just the audio as AIFF (16-bit uncompressed/PCM 48 kHz). Next, in QuickTime Player 7, I deleted the audio track for each clip, replacing it with the one I exported earlier. I then did a "Save As..." to a new file (in QT Player 7).

The resulting files (now valid .mov QT files) were imported into FCP and required no audio rendering. As a quick visual test, I did a difference composite mode for the original .dv clip and the new .mov clip and could see no difference (verifying that no transcoding of the video was done).

So, this procedure seems to work, although it's a bit convoluted (or at least tedious).

-Dave
February 14, 2011 09:07AM
great, thanks for that, Dave.

nick
February 14, 2011 09:31AM
This sounds good.
I'll have to try next time.
February 14, 2011 06:06PM
We wrote an automator script to do that - strip audio out of a file in Mpeg streamclip, run it through levelator, open the file in QT7, remove original audio, replace with levelated audio, save as QT movie.

It was for a slightly different workflow to begin with though, and relied on things being in specific folders, so I can't just post it, but it worked fine, so it is possible to do as a batch process if you need to do it a lot.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics