Studio Wall Monitor Suggestions...

Posted by kenshawfilms 
Studio Wall Monitor Suggestions...
February 16, 2011 04:49PM
Hey everyone,

I want to purchase a large LCD Monitor, Plasma or other to mount on my studio wall.
Looking for suggestions and things I need to look for, response time, etc.
This will be used as my desktop monitor as well as a client monitor.

I will be coming out of Final Cut Studio 2 parked on a 2 x 2GHz Dual Core Intel Xeon.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Re: Studio Wall Monitor Suggestions...
February 17, 2011 11:00AM
I can only recommend the full 1920x1080p 10bit Panasonic Plasmas.

Look at last year's 'top-of-the-line' models for a good deal.

42" or larger.

They are the best quality prosumer client/viewing monitor.

You will need to connect it via a video card NOT your graphics card. The HDMI from a Blackmagic Decklink Studio or higher or AJA Kona 3G you can monitor 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 8bit and 10bit Y'CrCb or 10bit RGB video. (you could possibly use the Blackmagic Intensity Pro but that only does 8/10bit Y'CrCb 4:2:2).

Don't go LCD or LED backlit.

Look for a Panasonic Plasma model with HDMI 1.3+ and xvYCC (aka x.v.Color?) and Deepcolor?

But more importantly the 'Studio Reference Mode' and 'Pro Setting Mode' which will give you the options to calibrate it to a very good level for post.

I would NOT recommend using a Plasma for "desktop monitor" as they suffer from "burn-in" similar to phosphor "burn-in" on CRT displays when static graphics are displayed on them for long periods such as a computer desktop or Channel ident/bug/dog.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
February 19, 2011 04:28AM
Ben do you have model numbers for those that have this mode...

trawling the internet does not yield that information easily...

better still a link to someone in the UK selling them.

Also what do you have against < 42" models?

Cheers

Trevor

Ben King Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> But more importantly the 'Studio Reference Mode'
> and 'Pro Setting Mode' which will give you the
> options to calibrate it to a very good level for
> post.
>
>
February 19, 2011 01:07PM
Hey Trevor

If you want to go the old stock - second-hand route then look for the following models on eBay, Amazon et al.

2007 Models:

TH-50PZ750 50"

TH-58PZ750U 58"

TH-65PZ700U 65"

2008 Models:

TH-46PZ850U 46"

TH-50PZ850U 50"

TH-58PZ850U 58"

TH-65PZ850U 65"

If you get the latest models which will undoubtably be the most expensive you might look for the ISFccc option if you are really serious about your picture calibration; which means even though they are "consumer" products you can get the display professionally calibrated by a technician.

You can get more control using the ISFccc mode yourself if you get the ControlCAL? [www.ControlCAL.com] software (free download but only runs on Windows and needs a Serial/RS232 port connected to the TV).

If you go to this level you might to actually go on a display-calibration course first.

2010/11 Models: (There are a LOAD so here's a few)

TC-P46G25

TC-46PGT24

TC-P50GT25

TC-P55ST30

TC-P54VT25

You can select and compare models on the Panasonic site here:

[www2.panasonic.com]

If you tick the ones you want to view and then "compare selected" you can a complete rundown of the specs for each model (4 models at a time). This will also show up the Pro Setting's if they have them about a third the way down the list.

With the later models (2010/11) it is really just the "Pro Setting" that you need to calibrate the display as they have such good specs already that the other options are either built-in as standard or defunct.

Also what do you have against < 42" models?

There are a lot sub 42" that are not full 1920x1080p HD raster which is what you need.

Never buy HD "Ready" only buy true full raster 1080p HD don't get a 720p HD TV either.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
February 20, 2011 09:58PM
Can't beat the new Vizios at Costco. I got a 47" with 4 HDMI ports for $999. Spectacular picture quality & Coscto automatically adds a year to the Manufacturer Warranty:

[www.costco.com]|90607&N=4047300+4294904820&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&topnav=

Online stock could be different than in-store specials. Visit a store near you and become a member. Best $50 you will ever spend.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

February 23, 2011 04:34PM
I buy the Vizios from Costco exclusively.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics