DVD to FCP

Posted by DanKuckes 
DVD to FCP
February 18, 2011 05:00PM
I'm trying to bring footage from a DVD into FCP. It doesn't seem to be that straightforward. One option I've found online is called "mac the ripper." Have any of you used this freeware? Do you recommend it, or is there a better option?
Re: DVD to FCP
February 18, 2011 05:12PM
MPEG Stream Clip [www.squared5.com]

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
February 18, 2011 05:13PM
What DVD is it? If it's a commercially produced DVD, like a studio-released feature film, I'm afraid we can't help you, as that would be copyright violation.

www.derekmok.com
February 18, 2011 05:20PM
MPEG Streamclip won't "rip" commercial copy-protected DVDs

...and as Derek said - if you rip a commercial DVD you risk violating copyright and could get in trouble.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
February 18, 2011 06:03PM
Whenever I get b-roll on a DVD, I play the DVD from a set-top DVD player/recorder, through my miniDV deck, and firewire into FCP.
February 18, 2011 07:16PM
No, it's not a commercial DVD, but one that my friend burned and wants edited. It is entirely content which he produced.

Thanks for that link, Ben King. I'll try that.
February 18, 2011 07:19PM
MPEG Streamclip will do the job. But if your friend produced the piece, why doesn't he provide you with a better master? An extract from a video DVD would be very compromised in terms of quality.

www.derekmok.com
February 18, 2011 08:03PM
This is from the FAQ : [www.lafcpug.org]

February 18, 2011 08:43PM
Well, my friend says he shot it on a 10 yr old camera, not a digital camera. He burned that to a DVD player, and that disk plays on my mac, but when I transfer it to MPEG Streamclip, I get no audio, no video, just a 13 minute timeline. So, what are our options?
February 18, 2011 08:51PM
derekmok
What DVD is it? If it's a commercially produced DVD, like a studio-released feature film, I'm afraid we can't help you, as that would be copyright violation.

That statement isn't entirely correct.

In the second half of 2010 (not sure exactly when), the U.S. Copyright Office granted documentary filmmakers an exemption to the DMCA, allowing filmmakers to "rip" exerpts of material for legitimate fair use purposes.

I first heard/read about this in the Fall 2010 issue of documentary in the introductory comments of the president of the IDA, Eddie Schmidt (page 2).

But, yes, in general you don't want to violate someone's copyright, and vice-versa...
winking smiley

-Dave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics