Exporting an entire feature

Posted by storm666 
Exporting an entire feature
February 20, 2011 10:06AM
Hello,

Still new to this compression thing, but I am wondering about a few things and hopefully someone can help. I have a 1 hour 44 minute cut of a documentary shot on DV Widescreen a couple years ago. Just finished the edit...but not sure the BEST way to export it both for posting online for my partners in Canada to view or make DVD copies of it. I've tried doing H.264 with settings suggested by vimeo, but it's been exporting now for 10 hours. Also IS there a website that lets you upload a feature to share privately with others? Everyone has time limits it seems. Thanks.

Scott
Re: Exporting an entire feature
February 20, 2011 11:01AM
Scott-

H .264 compression is pretty processor intensive. Depending on what kind of a machine you are using it can take a long time.

Even heavily compressed a full feature as a single movie is going to be an impressively large file for internet based transfers. Is is possible to break it into reels or acts? If you could knock that down into 5 to 10 pieces you will find it more manageable.

If you prefer to send this to a select group and not make a public affair of it, instead of posting it you might want to use some sort of file sharing platform. FTP is common, and ancient. For this to work you have to have access to an FTP server to host the files. You upload them, then send your client to go get them.

More recent developments in this space are thing like "Dropbox", "WhaleMail" and "U Send It". There are others as well.

-Vance
February 20, 2011 11:12AM
Try using MPEG Streamclip for the H.264 export. It's faster than QuickTime Player or Compressor.

www.derekmok.com
February 20, 2011 11:51AM
Derek, I'm afraid I've never heard of MPEG Streamclip. Is it downloadable? Where can I find that? Thanks!

Scott
February 20, 2011 11:52AM
Many thanks for your reply. Yes I've been posting it as reels but it's hard to get a flow of the movie having to stop and switch reels, so I was hoping there was another way to do it. there may not be. Thanks again!
February 20, 2011 11:57AM
If I were doing this, I'd just FTP the actual H.264 movie files. That way, they can also use QuickTime Pro (or Final Cut Pro) to re-combine the multiple files on their end.

As for MPEG Streamclip...Google is your friend.

[www.google.com]

[www.squared5.com]

www.derekmok.com
February 20, 2011 07:33PM
"Yes I've been posting it as reels but it's hard to get a flow of the movie having to stop and switch reels"

the idea would be that the folks on the other end would join them up first, surely.
this can be done in quicktime very easily.

there are ways to archive a large movie file into separate download-able .rar files.
when all archive files are in place on the receiving end they unpack as the one files.
they can also have a password for security.

i don't know how to DO this, i have only been on the receiving end (where i use UnRarX).

are you sure POSTING the file or a DVD isn't the way to go?

nick
February 23, 2011 03:57PM
I've been using zumodrive on my latest project and it has been a GREAT way to share files - video - aiffs for composer - scripts - running order etc etc etc

The cloud appears on your desktop.

I'll take the extra space if you are going to try it out so please feel free to use --

this link

[zumo.cc]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics