Photoshop Multi Layered files coming in as a flatten graphic not a sequence.

Posted by jdfairbanks 
Photoshop Multi Layered files coming in as a flatten graphic not a sequence.
February 21, 2011 02:31PM
I have been editing for a long time but just switched from Avid to Final Cut Pro 2 weeks ago. The first week I imported Photoshop Mulit-Layered files in FCP they came in as a sequence like they should. Now all of my Photoshop files are coming in as one flatten graphic.
Re: Photoshop Multi Layered files coming in as a flatten graphic not a sequence.
February 21, 2011 03:54PM
Where they made on a PC? That layer structure doesn't transfer to FCP.

All the best,

Tom
Re: Photoshop Multi Layered files coming in as a flatten graphic not a sequence.
February 21, 2011 06:21PM
Also, they must be 8 bit RGB. 16 or 32 bit CMKY or greyscale or whatever won't work properly.

Check them in PS under Image > Mode > [RGB, 8 bit]

February 21, 2011 08:13PM
All files comes from a PC, and everything is RGB. Some of the files are 8 bit and some are 16 bit.
I re-imported the one file that came in as a sequence and it came in as a sequence again. It is RGB and 8 bit.
It is good to know about the bit rate.
February 21, 2011 08:46PM
"All files comes from a PC"

They need to be opened in Photoshop on a Mac and saved there before they're brought into FCP.

All the best,

Tom
February 21, 2011 09:52PM
Thank You!
February 22, 2011 05:31AM
JD

Any chance you can put one of the old offending PSDs somewhere? I recently have discovered that not all PSDs are created equally - even on a Mac. This caused issues with the ProKit Updates 6.0.1 and 6.0.2 so am interested in finding a few more examples of the problem.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
August 26, 2011 01:43PM
This isn't really fair to all the PC users of Photoshop who also use FCP and Motion.
It's great to say that the format is slightly different in a PC and Mac PSD; but the
bottom line it should operate the same regardless of platform.

Tom Wolsky Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "All files comes from a PC"
>
> They need to be opened in Photoshop on a Mac and
> saved there before they're brought into FCP.
August 26, 2011 01:59PM
That's something you'll have to ask Adobe about. I believe Motion will accept multi-layers from either platform.

All the best,

Tom
August 26, 2011 02:12PM
Very true about PSD files and Motion, it reads multi-layer like a dream.

But not the case for ai..

An ai can be used as a Motion path if create on Mac Illustrator, but not a PC illustrator.

As a 3D Studio Max user, I was excited to load custom paths into motion;
however this limitation shut me right down.

For the 10 computers here, only one is a Mac.

Tom Wolsky Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's something you'll have to ask Adobe about. I
> believe Motion will accept multi-layers from
> either platform.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics