THE NEW MACBOOK PRO'S ARE HERE!! THE NEW MACBOOK PRO'S ARE HERE!!

Posted by grafixjoe 
THE NEW MACBOOK PRO'S ARE HERE!! THE NEW MACBOOK PRO'S ARE HERE!!
February 24, 2011 09:07AM
[www.apple.com]

2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor / Thunderbolt = YUMMY grinning smiley

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Re: THE NEW MACBOOK PRO'S ARE HERE!! THE NEW MACBOOK PRO'S ARE HERE!!
February 24, 2011 09:57AM
THUNDERBOLT! Where's Lightfoot?

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
February 24, 2011 09:59AM
Boo my MacBookPro 17" now looks old!!!!

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
February 24, 2011 10:19AM
Looks good. I may get this one.

www.strypesinpost.com
February 24, 2011 11:26AM
What's interesting is that Apple killed the Xserve and now, with Thunderbolt and Lion, every machine is a server with a fast connection. If they add two Thunderbolt ports on the Mac Mini, it could replace an Xserve as an Xsan metadata controller.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
February 24, 2011 11:34AM
Quad core i7 with 8 virtual cores hyperthreaded?? No more Nvidia graphics card (AMD - formerly ATI), Add 8 GB RAM and an SSD drive = screamer!! I have been waiting for this one.

BTW...I bought a fresh 8GB RAM kit a few months ago in anticipation of this new MBP (STILL SEALED - NEVER OPENED). The new MBP has a new RAM config so the kit I purchased is not compatible... and OWC / MACSALES.COM REFUSES TO TAKE IT BACK because I purchased it more that 30 days ago (even though it is still sealed). I lost some respect for OWC's Customer Support today. So if anyone want to purchase this, it is BRAND NEW / SEALED:

8.0GB (2 x 4.0GB Kit) PC8500 DDR3 1066MHz SO-DIMM Memory Upgrade Kit for all MacBook Pro 17" Unibody Models, All 2.66GHz/2.93GHz or Core i5/i7 MacBook Pro 15" Unibody, All MacBook Pro 13" Models, 2009/2010 Mac mini, 2009 iMac models.

$140.00

February 24, 2011 02:24PM
Nice. Thunderbolt is a great leap. I just hope they have better screen protection. My year old 17" MacBook Pro always has these dirt patches that I am sick of cleaning all the time. Some of them are just there. Will take it take it to a Genius since its still protected.
February 25, 2011 09:24AM
Am I crazy or -- with 8GB capability-- these are now 64-bit machines? Is that Core 97 64-bit?

Not a mention of 64-bit anywhere on the Apple site.

BTW, the Enquirer has an insipid two-page spread of Steve visiting the Stanford Cancer Center on a routine therapy session-- and predicting he has 6 months to live...I don't know about you, but that's all the substantial news I need from a paper, yeah?

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytip:
Play from Playhead to Out Mark with Shift-P !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
February 25, 2011 10:04AM
8 GB refers to the maximum amount of RAM you can put into the computer, not the amount that can be used per app.

But they've actually been 64-bit for a while, they just don't boot into 64-bit mode by default.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
February 25, 2011 10:25AM
Right...not by default. Here's how you boot in the 64-Bit kernel intentionally:

[support.apple.com]

February 25, 2011 10:54AM
I use a Pref Pane app to choose 32/64 bit Kernel

[www.apple.com]

Very useful if you have old apps that need to run in 32bit - but most run on 64bit anyway with no issues.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
February 25, 2011 12:02PM
Nice Ben. I cannot wait to get my new machine and Cinebench it in 64-Bit! All my geek hairs are standing up!!!

February 25, 2011 12:15PM
Not to mention that Larry Jordan announced on his blog that he was able to preview the new Final Cut Studio due out this spring. If it is also 64bit as Adobe had done, there will be a huge rush on purchases.
Steve

steve-sharksdelight
THUNDERBOLT DEMO
February 25, 2011 01:57PM
"Thunderbolt" in action...pulling 4 streams of 1080p simultaneously @ 600 MBPS while pumping it out to a 27" Monitor...all trough the same cable stream. Woof:

[www.viddler.com]

Geekbench Test Results are in: VERY IMPRESSIVE...
February 25, 2011 02:05PM

PrimateLabs has compiled GeekBench results for the new Sandy Bridge MacBook Pros released just yesterday, and the results are impressive. The results show GeekBench results ranging from 5900 to 10164 across all models. What makes this particularly impressive is that the new low-end 13" MacBook Pro (2.3GHz Dual i5) scores near last year's top-end 15"/17" MacBook Pro (2.8GHz Dual i7).

Browsing through the complete list of benchmarks shows the new MacBook Pros in context with the other Macs. The top-of-the-line MacBook Pro now outrank many of last year's desktop machines including the Mac Pro and iMac. PrimateLabs concludes:

The performance of the new MacBook Pros is amazing. The slowest MacBook Pro performs on par with the fastest previous-generation MacBook Pro, and the fastest MacBook Pro is 80% faster than the fastest previous-generation MacBook Pro.

In fact, if you look at our Mac Benchmark charts, you'll see that the fastest MacBook Pro is faster than a lot of Mac Pros (including the current generation of Mac Pros). The new MacBook Pros truly are portable workstations.
As always, benchmarks are an artificial gauge of performance, but can be useful in head to head comparisons. These numbers also primarily reflect CPU/Memory performance and don't take into account differences in graphics hardware.

* taken from a Macrumors article

Re: THUNDERBOLT DEMO
February 25, 2011 05:28PM
Yep. 13 inch is just fine with me. Like its small foot print for occasional times I am out and you can hook it up to a big ol display when back in the office. Perfect.

Michael Horton
-------------------
February 25, 2011 05:31PM
Oh crap, forgot. The 13inchers use the integrated GPU and those are really wimpy. Dang.

Michael Horton
-------------------
February 25, 2011 05:38PM
Bare Feats tested the 17 and 13 MBPs

[www.barefeats.com]

Michael Horton
-------------------
February 25, 2011 08:26PM
so add an external GPU via Thunderbolt :-)
February 25, 2011 08:32PM
Nobody tests like Bare Feats. This 17" machine flat-out rocks - can't wait. I would skip the 13" this time Mike...the GPU is night & day in the upper end models.

DM
February 25, 2011 11:49PM
Thunderbolt?
Embarrassingly lame term though. May be a great technology with promise but geez, I mean, Firewire is at least a hip term. I would have rathered firewire 2 than .....Thun....der....bolt. I'm ready to break out laughing. same lameness as the animal chain, tiger, leopard.
I think Apple needs to consult with folks who don't wear plaid pants....
February 26, 2011 12:05AM
The only problem with the new range is the lack of CUDA. That means you can't run the Resolve/CS5 on it, unless there are there is new support for the cards.

www.strypesinpost.com
February 26, 2011 11:27AM
Shazam!

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytip:
Play from Playhead to Out Mark with Shift-P !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
DM
February 26, 2011 01:05PM
You mean "Sham-Wow", just like the towel commercial. Actually, I think that would have been a better name for the port than Thunderbolt. Too close to Thunderbird, the favorite wine of some....
February 26, 2011 01:30PM
Back on topic...
strypes
That means you can't run the Resolve/CS5 on it

Who told you you cannot run CS5 on the new Macbook? That is completely false.

I just had a conversation with my friend Dave Helmly, (North American TechSales Manager ProVideo/Audio for Adobe Systems) and he said the following:

The new Mac Laptops should work excellent with CS5. Remember that the Mercury Playback engine is a true 64 bit engine that uses all available cores for maximum playback & rendering performance on the new Core i7. All video codecs still use the CPU for playback which is why our 64 bit engine is so critical.

You do get additional performance for playback & rendering for select effects if you have a supported NVIDIA GPU. Our technology works in parallel with CPU & GPU, but to be honest, these new laptops will have incredible performance on the CPU side (just need to have a ton of RAM - MAX THE RAM OUT if you can - to support the Creative workflow) and GPU really helps when you stack effects and stack layers (typically more than 4) . No question having both is better but for typical routine editing with 3 way color correction, titles, PSDs, and transitions, you'll see that the ATI card works great with a new quadcore processor.

On laptops you will typically run out of drive speed (causing drop frames) before performance starts to take a dive on typical workflows, but the new Thunderbolt port appears to start to address that. As Intel's Thunderbolt is a new technology for all of us, well need time to put it through it's paces.

For those of you that do not know Dave Helmly, he runs the North American Technical Field Team for Adobe ProVideo & Audio. It's one of the most senior field teams at Adobe with a direct link to Engineering & product management. Most of his team is nearing the 10 year mark (he's been there over 15). Their main focus is to take the feedback from field back to Video engineering and continue to improve the user experience. The past several releases clearly show how serious and dedicated they are to the ProVideo user and their market. If you have suggestions, go to the Adobe site and enter them in the "Feature Request" page.

All Adobe A/V apps go hand-in-hand with Apple Pro Apps - it's like one big software suite in my world grinning smiley

February 26, 2011 04:01PM

The only problem with the new range is the lack of CUDA. That means you can't run the Resolve/CS5 on it, unless there are there is new support for the cards.

Thunderbolt via PCIe to external case with 1x Nvidia 4000 GPU 1x Blackmagic Decklink Extreme 3D and a Hardware RAID card to another SAS case or on certain cases you can have your RAID array and PCIe expansion.

Use with Resolve...

bj
February 26, 2011 09:30PM
My timing is good.
looking for a new MBP 17".
question is the 512GB SSD worth it?
Found this link:
[www.lafcpug.org]
February 26, 2011 10:42PM
Joey, it depends on how much CUDA is used. Sure, it will run, but one of the biggest things about it is the CUDA acceleration. Unless CS5 doesn't use it much. If it does, performance would be affected, unless you get an additional box as Ben mentioned. The Resolve from what I gather uses CUDA for nearly every form of processing in the software. AE uses the graphics card (eg. Nvidia cards for acceleration of real time preview). I'd just like to see some real world user feedback and benchmarks.

www.strypesinpost.com
In what way are they "wimpy" Mike?

I like the look, size, and price point of the 13", What are the disadvantages of the integrated graphics card for video editing?
February 27, 2011 11:49AM
bj,

It is definitely worth it for me. The speed, reliability, power consumption, weight, etc is a no-brainer great investment and will pay for itself very quickly. I am a proponent of "you get what you pay for" and if you want to sit and wait for prices to drop like some peeps, you will be waiting a while. They have already dropped in price a lot and won't be very different in price the rest of this year IMHO. That SSD will live a long happy life with no moving parts. It won't be long before ALL COMPUTERS come with an SSD Boot Drive standard. This is the best solution for a laptop for sure (motion / vibration / battery life / etc).

Recently we had an Adobe CS5 Demo at my Studio by Dave Helmly and the Adobe ProVideo & Audio Team. All their Macbook Pros running the demos were running SSDs.

It is in my Cart at the Apple Store I can promise you that grinning smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics