File transfer question

Posted by Delphinus 
File transfer question
February 28, 2011 05:05PM
Hi all:
I transfered all data, including video and render files, from 1 TB drives to 2 TB drives (drive to drive). When I opened FCP, literally 3/4 of my clips lost their connection. In an 82 minute film, this would take me a day to reconnect. So, I put everything back the way it was. Is there a way to transfer this data (drive to drive) without loosing connection? Thanks.
FCP 6.5
MacPro

Stan
Re: File transfer question
February 28, 2011 05:40PM
Use Media Manager. Select everything in the project and use the copy or move function.

All the best,

Tom
February 28, 2011 06:16PM
The reason it lost the connection is that a lot of it was looking for particular file and folder names that you changed by moving them to a new disk with a different name.

It shouldn't take a day to reconnect. Just select the first clip in each 'missing' section in the reconnect menu and FCP will figure out the rest. At worst, if you have captured correctly and named clips (not let them be called 'untitled') but it was still very messy, I wouldn't expect it to take more than 15 minutes. At best, maybe 30 seconds.

February 28, 2011 06:22PM
I dont work with film very much, but if reconnection of clips takes more than 10 mins for a full hour ep, you may want to relook your media organization. Alternatively, if you are careful, you could do a find and replace command with the XML.

There are times you do not want media manager to move your media, especially if you are in the middle of a long form project, as media manager does not keep things very organized.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics