WOW!! New Test of New Macbook Pros on Final Cut.

Posted by Flabasha 
WOW!! New Test of New Macbook Pros on Final Cut.
March 08, 2011 01:49PM
Gentlepeople, start your credit cards.

[fcp.co]

The take-away? In compression and rendering, the new 2.2 ghz i7 is about 3X-4X FASTER than the previous gen 2.8 ghz Core 2 Duo. (1:26 vs. 4:27 on transcode, 3:26 vs. 13:58 on rendering).

I'm speechless. I'm agog.

I'm gonna be 2,500 bucks poorer soon.
Re: WOW!! New Test of New Macbook Pros on Final Cut.
March 08, 2011 02:51PM
Flabasha Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gentlepeople, start your credit cards.
>
> [fcp.co]
> er-is-final-cut-pro-on-the-new-22ghz-i7-macbook-pr
> os
>
> The take-away? In compression and rendering, the
> new 2.2 ghz i7 is about 3X-4X FASTER than the
> previous gen 2.8 ghz Core 2 Duo. (1:26 vs. 4:27
> on transcode, 3:26 vs. 13:58 on rendering).
>
> I'm speechless. I'm agog.
>
> I'm gonna be 2,500 bucks poorer soon.

It's curious why people propagate unsubstantiated performance claims (not you, but fcp.co rather). fcp.co even says, "We have no idea how the test was carried out,..." Wow, good journalism, that...
eye rolling smiley

I prefer to go with Apple's numbers, which state up to 1.9x faster for ProRes renders. Apple will try to be as optimistic as possible without falsely claiming numbers based on specious testing.

Regardless, the performance improvements are compelling (as they always are), especially if it's been a few years since your last computer purchase.

-Dave
March 08, 2011 03:17PM
I don't trust anyone, unless they do their own real world testing. And I especially don't trust the company that makes the software/hardware...marketting always skews things. That's why I like BAREFEATS. And testing things myself.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
March 12, 2011 10:15PM
Looks like the tests hold up!

Anandtech did an insanely in-depth test (like they always do), and here's what they had to say...

"The result is that for the first time since I've been reviewing Apple hardware we have portable Macs that can truly hang with their desktop brethren (with some caveats of course)."

"(In Photoshop) The high end 15-inch MacBook Pro is actually faster than last year's 8-core Mac Pro."

[www.anandtech.com]

As many commenters have noted, this appears to be the greatest pure performance upgrade in the history of Mac laptops, move-to-Intel included.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics