Going from HDV to DVD (SD)

Posted by BeyondFilm 
Going from HDV to DVD (SD)
March 15, 2011 11:07AM
Hi Everybody. I have a conversion question.
I shot video in HDV using my Sony HVR-V1U camera. We shot 1080i with the progressive mode enabled in the menu. We edited the video in native HDV. My client wants a standard definition DVD authored and I'm trying to figure the best way to do that. So far, the results have been less than great. I know that HDV does not go into DVD Studio Pro Pro. So I tried making a standard definition DV sequence, dropped the finished HDV sequence into that and then exported a DV QuickTime movie that DVD studio pro trans-coded. I burned a DVD and the 16 x 9 composition was good, but the image was very soft and the edges were very pixelated. In fact, it looked that way a few steps back with the DV QuickTime movie I exported out of Final Cut Pro that was headed for DVD studio pro. In other words, the movie look pixelated even before it hit DVD Studio Pro. So my question is, what is the best way to export the native HDV timeline so that it appears sharp (as can be expected) in a standard definition DVD? I believed I've already tried exporting a section of the HDV timeline out as an Apple intermediate codec QuickTime movie. But that had the same softness and jagged edges as well. So that's why I am writing to the forum hoping to find a solution.

Thanks in advance!

Chris
Re: Going from HDV to DVD (SD)
March 15, 2011 11:11AM
Teranex if you can. Otherwise send it through Compressor and set resize to best.

www.strypesinpost.com
Re: Going from HDV to DVD (SD)
March 15, 2011 11:30AM
I see Jon has answered your query and more succinctly than I have. Next time try to avoid cross posting.

One other option to try out is to play out to another machine to downconvert through the capture card.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics