Sponsors bar question

Posted by jay dubya 
Sponsors bar question
March 15, 2011 06:17PM
Hi folks,

sorry, not a FCP question, but related to one of your recent sponsor's links.

I noticed last week that one of your sponsors (on the left of screen) was advertising a new storage device that was a horizontal 2-drive bay that sat flush with the 17inch MBPro - it basically sat underneath the laptop and has the same dimensions as the 17in.

It has now disappeared and no amount of searching LAFCPUG or the web brings it up. Can anyone point me in the right direction ?

Thanks,

JW.
Re: Sponsors bar question
March 15, 2011 08:22PM
Dont think it was here on these forums. Haven't had a storage device ad on these forums for a long time. Might of been a google ad on some article you read here on lafcpug.org, but from your description I cant seem to conjure up what drive it might of been.

Michael Horton
-------------------
March 15, 2011 09:56PM
Hhmmmm, ok thanks Michael.

It was here, but maybe as you say, via a google ad then.

Still, no amount of googling can bring anything up - rather strange.

Thanks anyway for your quick response.
March 16, 2011 12:23AM
coulda been one of these maybe
[www.maxxdigital.com]

or these
[eshop.macsales.com]
[eshop.macsales.com]
March 16, 2011 01:58AM
Thanks Andy,

No, none of those, but I have found it.

[www.transintl.com]

Thanks for taking the time though, cheers.
March 16, 2011 10:49AM
It looks nice, but good grief, that's a horrible place to put a drive array! Where are the fans in that thing? I see it cools via conduction off the aluminium chassis, not very good for long term usage, also, any 5th grader will tell you that heat travels upwards via conduction straight to your prized MacBook pro. I mean it's good if you are covered by AppleCare, but still...

Okay, maybe I need to tone down a tad. It's not the worst thing you can buy. Short of an uncooled plastic enclosure running a RAID 0 configuration connected by USB.

www.strypesinpost.com
March 16, 2011 03:39PM
I was thinking the same Strypes. Not only the heat but the weight of the whole thing.
March 16, 2011 05:00PM
Well, when you gotta carry drives, you carry drives, plus a power adapter plus rugged metal enclosure. It's not something I'll bring to Starbucks, though..

www.strypesinpost.com
March 16, 2011 06:00PM
Oh geez, thanks guys,

I didn't check that at all - I thought it was fan cooled - you're right, it's not.

I wonder how they can sell it like that ?

Back to the drawing board.......
March 17, 2011 08:20AM
I like the form factor tho. I do a lot of work on OB trucks, and space is always a problem. Put some fans in it and you might actually help cool the computer. Of course fans mean an external power supply, and that must be what they are trying to avoid.
March 17, 2011 08:24AM
As long as you can separate 'em for work, it looks like an ideal travel solution.

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytip:
Play from Playhead to Out Mark with Shift-P !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
March 17, 2011 08:33AM
>Of course fans mean an external power supply

It has a power supply unit. You can't run raids with 3.5" drives off bus power. Not unless you do what Caldigit does on the vr mini.

www.strypesinpost.com
March 17, 2011 08:40AM
This from the copy on the site:

"ProStor525L is a dual drive Bus powered slim storage solution specifically designed for laptop users."

Tho I do see what looks like a power socket.
March 17, 2011 11:25AM
It also says "in the box: ...power adapter". They run 2.5" drives so it could just be bus powered. Cooling isn't an issue. Get risers, and an industrial fan, but it defeats the benefits of the form factor.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics