Final Cut - strange icon appears using curser on timeline - can't move video/audio clips ??

Posted by eosruss 
Greetings - a strange icon started appearing on my timeline while trying to QuickTime wrap some files for a submission. The icon looks like a miniature pair of sunglasses - when the arrow/curser is place over the video or audio line (v1 or a1, etc). In addition - I am unable to move either video or audio line about the timeline - either sliding back and forth - or moving from v1 to v2 - a1 to a2 - etc.

What have I done - what key have I mistakenly hit, etc. ?? What does sunglass icon mean ??

Also - while trying to do QuickTime wrap files for a client - after rendering and saving file in .mov format to folder - when I go to that folder to open just one file/clip to check playback - it opens into full Final Cut software project file versus automatically opening in just a QuickTime file for that clip !

What have I done wrong ? -- is it software or me ? Thanks for any help !

Russ G
Re: Final Cut - strange icon appears using curser on timeline - can't move video/audio clips ??
March 16, 2011 11:03AM
It's the slide tool. (either slip or slide. Terms confuse me) You hit "s". Hit "a" to go back to segment mode.

www.strypesinpost.com
Thanks for the quick reply - but any idea about the QuickTime file wrap issue ? Thanks !

Russ G
eosruss Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Also - while trying to do QuickTime wrap files for
> a client - after rendering and saving file in .mov
> format to folder - when I go to that folder to
> open just one file/clip to check playback - it
> opens into full Final Cut software project file
> versus automatically opening in just a QuickTime
> file for that clip !

Can you elaborate on this a little more? I'm not entirely sure what you're referring to.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
Hi John -- thanks for replying.

In the past when sending some QT files off to a client - I/they could open the QT .mov individual file just by double-clicking on the .mov file - individual file would open in QT video/viewer format.

Recent files sent - and recent files I exported to QT folder - when I/client clicked on individual (.mov file) - it would want to open - or wanted to look for the entire Final Cut project - the individual file originated from. That should not be happening should it ?

The client does not have the entire original FC project file -- just individual .mov files that have been QT wrapped. Any thoughts ?

Russ G
Re: Final Cut - strange icon appears using curser on timeline - can't move video/audio clips ??
March 16, 2011 11:51AM
> when I go to that folder to open just one file/clip to check playback - it opens into full
> Final Cut software project

All that means is that you have QuickTime movies set to open with Final Cut Pro by default. Either open them by dragging them to the QuickTime Player icon on the Dock, or select one of the files, press APPLE-I, change "Open with:" to "QuickTime Player", and then click on the "Change All" button to reset the default application for .movs to QuickTime Player.

> or wanted to look for the entire Final Cut project - the individual file originated from.

That is not likely to be what's happening. The movie file will open in FCP's Viewer; this should not launch any projects unless you were selecting a project file. The project file is probably launching because you have the FCP User Preference "Open last project on launch" selected. Bad option to leave on, by the way -- you should turn it off. It causes more problems than it's worth -- for example, if the last open project was corrupt, it may cause your FCP application to crash every time you launch it.

www.derekmok.com
Greetings -- thanks so much for the assistance - I'm a "newby" - still learning !

Russ G
Also if you're sending it off to someone else make sure when you export that you have the Make Self-Contained check box checked.

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
Hi Dean - thanks for reply. Where is this checkbox located - under Preferences - or where ? In the past doing QT wraps worked fine - again - I must have inadvertently unchecked this box whereever it is. Thanks for reply back on this !

Russ G
March 17, 2011 08:02PM
It's in the QuickTime Movie export dialog.

All the best,

Tom
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics