Exporting a sequence of still images from FCP to DVD Pro

Posted by Nick Munning 
Re: Exporting a sequence of still images from FCP to DVD Pro
March 21, 2011 11:04PM
Strypes, I don't know what you mean. 480, not 480??
March 21, 2011 11:07PM
Strypes, I don't know what you mean, It's 480, not 480.???
March 21, 2011 11:23PM
While I'm not an FCP expert like the moderators here, I notice from one of your screen shots (second to last) that it appears you are trying to import an FCP Project file into DVD Studio. Is the screen shot wrong ? I mean, obviously you need to import the QT....

regards

Mike
March 21, 2011 11:33PM
Sorry for the confusion, Mike. You're right. When I try to import the small (incomplete) QT file it tries then it stops and no message is left. I tried the FCP just to see what would happen. My problem is I can't make a full QT video. Nick
March 21, 2011 11:38PM
Can you do a full render on your sequence? There are some clips that are running on full RT.

www.strypesinpost.com
March 21, 2011 11:43PM
Go to sequence>render all and make sure full RT is checked. Render and export. If you run into issues rendering, switch the motion quality setting in sequence settings to "fast".

www.strypesinpost.com
March 21, 2011 11:50PM
I've never used Photo JPEG movie files in DVD Studio Pro. I thought you were trying out both the original DV NTSC movie file and the Uncompressed 8-bit movie file?

> You're right. When I try to import the small (incomplete) QT file it tries then it stops
> and no message is left. I tried the FCP just to see what would happen.

There is no reason for you to try to import the FCP project file. It will never work.

Please, Nick, stop trying to be creative. Improvising solutions only works if you have enough concrete knowledge to base your trials on. Post exactly what you're trying to do, not a "reasonable facsimile". When we see the screen capture, the response would be, "Of course you can't import an FCP project file into DVD Studio Pro!" But if that's not what you've been trying to do, you just confused us. The more extraneous things you mess with, the harder it is for us to pinpoint the problem.

Also, it's not a good idea to name an exported movie file the same as the project it came from. Extensions are supposed to protect the files, but it confuses you. Come up with different formats for the files. I use "Titanic.proj" for project files and "titanic_v01_032111_dvntsc.mov) for movie files. See how they're so vastly different that you can't confuse the two?

So which Sequence Setting is the one you're testing with? You showed us a Photo JPEG one and a DV NTSC one. You didn't show us the "short, incomplete" QuickTime files in OS. Take a screen capture of that and show us. Open it in QuickTime Player, go into Information (APPLE-I) and show that. (You're currently opening the movie file in QuickTime X, an inferior consumer software everybody hates. Open it with QuickTime Pro 7 to access extra options and information we need to see.)

When I suggested that you make a new project, did you actually start a new project, or did you simply start a new Sequence? I suggested that to rule out a corruption in the project file, so if you only made a new Sequence in the same project file, it doesn't do anything.

www.derekmok.com
March 22, 2011 12:03AM
My bad. Typo. I corrected it. There are 2 SD frame sizes in the NTSC world- 720x480 and 720x486. For dv and DVD output, use 720x480.

Make sure your sequence is fully rendered before you export. That would help isolate the cause.

www.strypesinpost.com
March 22, 2011 12:29AM
I did what I think is a full render. I marked "Full" on the drop down list (it hadn't previously been marked) Here is the screen shot. It still didn't export correctly, only a few sec's. Also, I thought I was using 720x480.

[dl.dropbox.com]
March 22, 2011 01:18AM
Derek, I did start the new project from scratch. It is only about one minute long and that is the only one I've been testing with. I have tested this project with all three sequence settings that have been suggested on this forum: a) Uncompressed 8-bit, b) Photo Jpeg, c) DV-NTSC all to no avail. All have rendered basically the same results - It tries to export then suddenly stops. It produces a QT video, some of which are 2 sec in duration and others up to 15 sec's or so. For now, I'm not trying to import into DVD Pro. I'm just trying to export to a QT movie, but can't get the full show.

1) Here is the most recent QT I've done. It's been fully rendered if I did the rendering right. I clicked on "Both" in the Rendering All List. 2) I'll also send the screen shot of the sequence rendering. Here goes:

1) [dl.dropbox.com]

2) [dl.dropbox.com]

Thank you, Nick
March 22, 2011 02:11AM
I can't really see the reason for this. I'm personally heading towards a re-install recommendation. Before that though, get this :

[www.digitalrebellion.com]

its brilliant and it has a trial mode.

I was going to guess that there you had an out marker in the timeline, but no. It's just odd.

March 22, 2011 02:40AM
>It produces a QT video, some of which are 2 sec in duration and others up to 15 sec's or so.

can you elaborate on this? Is it a truncated file or are they split up and truncated? Also, go to the finder and select your media drive, hit apple I and take a screenshot of it.

www.strypesinpost.com
March 22, 2011 02:44AM
And yea, not sure if you trashed your FCP preferences yet. Also, repair disk permissions in disk utilities.

www.strypesinpost.com
March 22, 2011 02:52AM
Can I ask a very basic question ? Have you ever exported a QT from another project in the past ? In other words, is this the first time you've hit this problem ?

regards

Mike
March 22, 2011 09:06AM
How do I trash my FCP preferences?

I did do a repair of disk permissions a couple of days ago, but will do it again.

In regards to the truncated file, if I understand what you mean, no they aren't truncated, but I was referring to each trial test had a different duration seemingly dependent upon which preference settings I was using.
March 22, 2011 09:12AM
Ya know, I think this is the first time I've done a project on this computer. I transferred FCP via Firewire from my Mac G5 to this one.
March 22, 2011 09:20AM
Is this what you wanted?

[dl.dropbox.com]
March 22, 2011 09:34AM
i don't know if you're making any money on this, nick,
but i think you'd get a LOT out of paying someone who knows there stuff to come around and sort out your system,
and give you some pointers.

no offence, but it sounds like you are in a mess!

(the other) nick
March 22, 2011 09:41AM
> I transferred FCP via Firewire from my Mac G5 to this one.

What?
Let me see if I understood this correctly...what is your current computer? Are you saying you tried to do a direct copy (drag-drop) of Final Cut Pro, the software, a non-crossgrade version, from an IBM-chip PowerPC G5 to an Intel Mac? Am I completely off my rocker here? I wasn't even aware that that would work to any extent at all.

If you didn't install FCP correctly on your new computer, no wonder you're having problems. Your copy of FCP, the way you put it onto your new computer, wouldn't be considered legit.

(From my old posting)
> With all the problems you're having, such as crashes, I'd say you have a more fundamental
> problem. Corrupt media? JPEGs in CMYK mode driving FCP crazy? Using a USB drive that can
> barely handle DV media, let alone Uncompressed 8-bit? Using print-quality still images
> that are 20000 pixels across? Pirated software that doesn't work properly?

If I'd misunderstood what you'd written here, I apologize. But if I had not misunderstood, then it's exactly what I meant earlier, and what Nick Meyers mentioned in his last post. You are missing so many fundamental pieces of knowledge (if I'd read correctly, this includes the root-basic Intel-PowerPC difference) that you don't have one thing wrong, or even three things wrong: You have 24 things wrong.

You should have edited this project on your old G5. It is perfectly capable of doing what you're been describing, because you're not using anything that's missing from the PowerPC-based FCP versions. Your JPEG-stills-based project could have been done on Final Cut Pro Version 1 on Mac OS9 on a G3 Mac.

My advice? Export an XML of your Sequence, and then move back to your G5, where FCP was properly installed. If you want to take advantage of the faster disc-burning speeds of your newer Mac, you can just move the exported movie file back here. (Movie files don't care about OS versions or the PowerPC-Intel difference, as long as you have the codec) Although I'd once again question whether you also installed DVD Studio Pro correctly.

www.derekmok.com
March 22, 2011 12:46PM
Oh Boy! This has become a nightmare for all of us and I apologize for all the inconveniences. However, I was only doing what My Apple manual told me I could do and that is transfer from my old computer software to my new one. to my new one.

I actually didn't do a Drag & Drop, if I remember correctly. It was more like an import. And my computer language isn't as sophisticated as yours is regarding the "non-cross grade version".

So let me ask you this. Are you saying that my FCP Studio 5 version for which I have all the disks, because I bought it new, will not work in my new Intel-based computer even from a fresh install?

I plan on selling my G5. I just went on Apple store and noted that they have an Upgrade for Final Cut Studio for $299. It says (I think, if I'm understanding it correctly), that I can upgrade from a previous version of FCP Pro or Studio. So do you know if that will cross over platforms? Would I do a fresh install of my old version then add the Upgrade?

Although, to me this is bad news because it means purchasing more software, at least from here I can move on without so much difficulty.

I know I need training and I would love to do that, but as I mentioned before, I do live 150 miles from the nearest shopping center, or any instructors from whom I could learn. So for now, until I retire next year, I have to do it all On-Line. I love this work and photography. I want to become proficient at it, so it's not just a passing thing for me.

My project is a personal one to have fun with. I am a novice in this area. So I go to you all, On-Line, to get help. You have given me a lot of good information. I know I'm out of my league here.

Thanks to all of you.

Nick
March 22, 2011 01:51PM
I looked at the links (some are dead ends). My first thoughts are-

1) why are you employing photo-jpeg? At anything over 50% it's totally inefficient.

2) Make sure that's the sequence you're really exporting; I see two other timelines loaded.
Everything deselected in Browser? You're exporting right from the timeline?

3) Are you exporting to your system drive? I wouldn't.

If you're going out to create a QuickTime asset for DVDSP, just export DV-NTSC as you last set it to an external drive with adequate space.

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytip:
Play from Playhead to Out Mark with Shift-P !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
March 22, 2011 02:30PM
Thanks, Loren. The Photo-Jpeg at 75% was a suggestion form the forum. When you ask about exporting directly from the timeline, does that mean everything in the browser is deselected and I need to select the timeline or may I just leave it as is? I will export to my external drive from now on if that's important. I was just doing what the manual told me - to export to desktop for convenience. Then Derek suggested to export to Documents so I've been doing that.

But now it seems to be a problem with me changing computers from an IBM-based platform to an Intel (G5 to a Mac Pro) so my FCP work work in my Mac Pro that I am using for this project. But your suggestions are well taken as I can make them a part of my workflow.

Thank you - Nick
March 22, 2011 03:45PM
Nick Munning Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So let me ask you this. Are you saying that my FCP
> Studio 5 version for which I have all the disks,
> because I bought it new, will not work in my new
> Intel-based computer even from a fresh install?

What Derek and the others are saying is that you cannot get a proper install of FCP by either importing or drag and drop from another machine. You have to install from the actual disks.

> I plan on selling my G5. I just went on Apple
> store and noted that they have an Upgrade for
> Final Cut Studio for $299. It says (I think, if
> I'm understanding it correctly), that I can
> upgrade from a previous version of FCP Pro or
> Studio. So do you know if that will cross over
> platforms? Would I do a fresh install of my old
> version then add the Upgrade?

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, but I believe FCP5 will run fine on your machine without the upgrade.

cheers

Mike
March 22, 2011 03:52PM
That makes me a lot happier! Thanks for the good news, Mike!

One of the things I've learned from the last couple of days is that some things aren't as easy as they may seem. So I'll ask this...

What is the best procedure to remove FCP5 from my present MacPro and reinstall from the original disks that I purchased prior to Intel based Macs?

Thanks - I feel like I'm getting closer to fixing this problem.

Nick
March 22, 2011 04:08PM
Nick Munning Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What is the best procedure to remove FCP5 from my
> present MacPro and reinstall from the original
> disks that I purchased prior to Intel based Macs?

Nick - this forum is a really fantastic resource and the moderators (and many others) donate their time and vast experience with astonishing generosity. The forum has also been up and running for many years and most questions have arisen in the past and been answered. No offense, but it really is worth taking the time to search the forum before asking questions. There is a forum search box at the top of every page and another google search of lafcpug at the bottom. The google search does the better job, so use that.

Meanwhile, here is the answer to your question:

[www.lafcpug.org]

regards

Mike
March 22, 2011 04:23PM
Yes, Mike, this is a great forum of dedicated people and I appreciated every one. Thank you for the link. Nick
March 22, 2011 07:29PM
Mike, thanks for your help. I called Apple and my present FCP 5 disks will not work on my Intel computer, BUT, I can purchase the upgrade for $299, and not even have an installation of FCP 5 but when I get the Upgrade disk I put in my serial # of my present FCP 5 and it gives me a full version, not incremental. Hopefully, I have contributed something.

Regards - Nick
March 22, 2011 07:32PM
In the meantime, just finish the project on the G5. I'm confident the problems will go away.

www.derekmok.com
March 22, 2011 07:42PM
Thanks for all your help. I'll fire up the G5. Nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics