Can Anyone ID This Media

Posted by Gary Sumlak 
Can Anyone ID This Media
March 26, 2011 11:31AM
I have a customer that wants media from this cartridge put on DVD. However, I have never seen anything like it before. Does anyone here know what this media is and what I need to read it?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TAI

Thanks
Gary Sumlak
thumbprints Multimedia Inc.
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
[www.thumbprints.ca]

*** Superior Film Transfers at a Reasonable Price ***
Re: Can Anyone ID This Media
March 26, 2011 12:27PM
I think that's a form of microfiche/microfilm. The signs are not good tracking down a player
[trade.mar.cx]

Libraries had readers but there were a few formats and not a lot of them are still being used. I would track down an archivist to see if they have a machine to read this. That's only the first step, the next thing is getting it into digital data form.

It could be an old form of data storage, as B&H did get into computers in the 70s, they made an Apple II of some sort. But I would hazard a guess that nothing from the 70's would be that small.
But their primary focus was on film media 8mm camera and projectors and such. They had an industrial division that made microfilm readers and duplicators.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
March 26, 2011 12:57PM
That's a typewriter ribbon confused smiley

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

March 26, 2011 01:16PM
This may help (from the Bell & Howell website):

Contact AMR in Long Beach, California at 562-295-6117 and ask for Marla or via email at serviceandsupport@live.com

-Dave
March 26, 2011 01:27PM
When you look at the tape inside it, does it look like teeny-tiny images, or is it magnetic tape (like a cassette tape)? (Or, as Joey suggests, does it get ink on your fingers? :-) )

If it's images, it's microfilm and you could probably figure out a way to break into the case and manually scan it in.

If it's magnetic tape, I think I've got bad news for you.
March 26, 2011 02:41PM
Thanks for the replys.

I will talk to the client and ask him to bring the media to me so that I can get a better look at it. It looks to me like mag tape, and it also looks like it is broken at the right spindle.

thanks again.

Thanks
Gary Sumlak
thumbprints Multimedia Inc.
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
[www.thumbprints.ca]

*** Superior Film Transfers at a Reasonable Price ***
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics