Where did my title go? Font disappears even though it shows everywhere else.

Posted by scotyount 
Where did my title go? Font disappears even though it shows everywhere else.
March 28, 2011 08:43AM
Brand new MBP i7 four core 2.3 GHz. Snow Leopard 10.6.7. Final Cut 7.
I cannot find anything in the archives here on the problem I am experiencing. Simple titles using Adobe Garamond Pro (which the client requires) were working fine in text generator and now have at least partially disappeared. When using text gen, they will appear in italics, bold and what not, but not in the plain setting. All other fonts appear to work. I think. Font Book shows all fonts enabled including Adobe Garamond Pro. What is even stranger is that some other titles in the project with the same font remain in place. The missing titles have fade in fade out dissolves on them and since they were rendered, the font appears in the dissolve but disappears once the fade up is complete. I even brought up an old project that has been archived (for the same client) and the exact same fonts in the same places are missing....WTF? I even deleted the titles entirely, started over and they worked for a few minutes then disappeared again. Any thoughts?

scot
Re: Where did my title go? Font disappears even though it shows everywhere else.
March 28, 2011 08:49AM
I forgot to say that I brought the project up on another older MBP with a core 2 duo processor and the exact same problem exists....HELP.
Re: Where did my title go? Font disappears even though it shows everywhere else.
March 28, 2011 09:46AM
That's pretty bizarre. I can only imagine that the font file itself (the plain version?) has been corrupted, since you've tried it with multiple stations. An older FCP project file won't help you if it's accessing the same font file in your Library. Try downloading it from a fresh source and replace all of them.

As for why some older titles are intact, it could be because you already rendered them, so FCP is reading them off pre-existing render files rather than accessing the corrupt font file.

www.derekmok.com
March 28, 2011 09:54AM
Thanks for the reply. You are of course right about the render being a kind of print from when the font was available. But what I don't understand is why if I am using two different MBPs, each with an install of FCS 3, same version, that the fonts don't appear. I believe the fonts live in OS X and both machines have the same 10.6.7 and are completely independent of each other. So that tells me that something is in fact corrupt as you say. Where would I get the fonts without having to re-intall OS X Snow Leopard or FCP?
March 28, 2011 04:00PM
Nobody knows?
March 28, 2011 05:49PM
Using FontBook on another computer with good Adobe Garamond Pro, you could export it, then import into FontBook on the problem machine, unless there are copy protections on that font (if that's possible). If it came with the OS, that shouldn't be a problem. Before importing into the second machine, delete it with FontBook.

That's what I would try, anyway.
JAS
March 28, 2011 08:29PM
By chance did the typeface display properly prior to OS version 10.6.7? It appears there is a defect in 10.6.7 that causes problems with OpenType fonts. I found it necessary to downgrade my Mac Pro to 10.6.6 for OpenType fonts to display correctly.

[discussions.apple.com]
March 28, 2011 08:41PM
Just for reference, Adobe Garamond Pro works fine here on my FCP 7.0.3 on 10.6.5

Also, maybe look at [www.alex4D.com] for a free plugin that allows you to search for and add fonts that won't normally auto load into FCP. I think it's called Text + fonts.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics