Red Camera editing issues - picure disappeared

Posted by amanda_toes 
Red Camera editing issues - picure disappeared
March 28, 2011 11:07PM
Hi,
I'm cutting a short film for a friend, never used RED CAM footage before.

Thought I figured it all out - cutting away and now a week later I open my project to see that the first 1/4th of the timeline has lost it's orange render line, while the rest of the timeline still has it's orange render line. (I've closed and opened it before without this problem)

And when I try to play this renderless section, I get the audio only under a grey screen - no video picture.
While the rest of the footage in the timeline under the orange render plays fine.

I'm on a year old Mac Pro, running FCP 7

I used the RED FINAL CUT STUDIO 3 INSTALLER off the red camera site to convert the clips. Using the "H" clips.

codec same as timelime, render - unlimited, dynamic.
If I change the codec to " apple pro rez" i get a red render line just over the orange render section, and I can play that part of the sequence no problem as before - perhaps more drop out in playback, but it's not rendered.

please help, and talk to me like I'm a 5 year old. I'm technically anxious and easily confused. Thanks!

abtfilm@gmail.com
Re: Red Camera editing issues - picure disappeared
March 29, 2011 09:14AM
You need to read up on the RED workflow. There are several options all depending basically on what you need to get out the door at the end of the day. At the moment it sounds to me like you're confusing the proxy workflow with the Log & Transfer route.

The two most basic methods in FCP are:

1. Use Log and Transfer to bring in the RED clips and transcode to ProResHQ or 4x4 for editing. This functionality is what the RED FCS Installer enables. Make your settings in the dropdown preferences pane you'll see in L&T once you've installed. This creates a whole new set of QuickTime media in your Capture Scratch folder which you use to edit with, keeping the original RED files as backup.

2. Drag and Drop the Proxies from the RED folders into the Browser and Edit with those. The "H" Clips you mention are proxies. Don't ever move them out of the original folders, but rather just copy them into the browser.

Downsides/Upsides: Method 1 takes quite ahwile for processing. However, the plus side is that you don't need to go back to the RED originals (unless advanced color-grading or other post work is involved). You just edit with the new QuickTimes and everything runs great. Method 2 is much quicker as there is no transcoding involved at the outset, but it is notoriously unstable and thus not really recommended. Proceed at your own risk. I personally wouldn't use it for anything longer than perhaps a simple TVC, certainly not for a short.

Whatever you decide, it is standard procedure test your workflow first. The problems you're having are going to go away once you have the methodology down.

hth,
Clay
March 30, 2011 08:19PM
thanks Clay, I appreciate your clear explanation.
I will revisit this.

Any advice on the best place to get the most understandable info on RED Workflow?

thanks

abtfilm@gmail.com
March 31, 2011 01:50AM
There's an excellent book here in the Lafcpug store:

RED:
The Ultimate Guide to
Using the Revolutionary Camera
by Noah Kadner

Not too tech, very clear explanations of the various workflows and the general inner workings of the RED camera system. A must read to get started and great to have on hand in your library as a general reference.

For specific issues, gear questions, system requirements, updates etc. join the Reduser.net over the the RED.com page.

Otherwise just google for something like "basic RED workflow fcp" and you'll find plenty.

hth,
Clay
March 31, 2011 02:10PM
There's that book, but if it's talking about workflow, it may need updating, as everything has changed. Crimson is pretty much obsolete.

If you ate editing red proxies, make sure your sequence is set to ProRes and preferably you do your offline with one of the lower Rez proxies. You can set your sequence to the red codec but just don't render. Strange things may happen and it's not recommended.

What Harry said. I use clipfinder, and sometimes the TP2 software, depending on what I'm doing. You can use the log and transfer method to recapture as native if you started with the log and transfer workflow. Then that goes into Color.

That said, I need to be a bit more aware about the bugs. Anyone encountered the looping bug or the hours from midnight or timecode/edgecode bugs yet?

www.strypesinpost.com
May 17, 2011 06:10PM
reduser.net?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics