New Final Cut Pro at Supermeet, April 12

Posted by Sweditor 
Re: New Final Cut Pro at Supermeet, April 12
April 08, 2011 06:17PM
If anyone has an extra ticket I would love to buy it, & I'll even throw in a hug! My schedule opened up & I would love to be there.

"Papa" Sean
April 08, 2011 07:09PM
How about a Jumbo Tron outside the event so everybody without tickets can see what's going on ;-)
April 08, 2011 09:02PM
Good idea. YOU pay for it. smiling smiley

Michael Horton
-------------------
April 08, 2011 09:12PM
<"Good idea. YOU pay for it.">

I would if I had the extra cash smiling smiley
April 09, 2011 04:11AM
I don't know about a geant Tron but a live feeding would be nice;

(and yes in "feeding" there is "fee"winking smiley
April 09, 2011 08:04AM
Does anyone know if they are having the lives stream this year? Did this change when Apple took center stage? There doesn't seem to be any mention of it on the SM page and sadly I am stuck
in my bunker working and can't get out there this year. Or maybe not sadly; I suppose I could be unemployed.
April 09, 2011 08:58AM
From the sources Ive seen, no live stream will be allowed but several folks have volunteered to provide live tweets. I believe that Walter Biscardi was one of the folks that will be doing this.
April 09, 2011 09:35AM
No live stream.

Michael Horton
-------------------
April 09, 2011 10:05AM
I guess we'll have to settle for tweets. I'm good with that.
April 10, 2011 01:43AM
[ You don't have a choice. Period. You're big footed. ]

Well, a little perspective-- Mike and Dan had a choice; they've pretty much gone independent of Apple and allowed other products into the mix. But the idea of scooping everybody with the SuperMeet originally invented for FCP makes perfect sense, as hamhanded as the arrangements were. I fault Apple marketing.

Maybe they'll make up for it with some aggressive recession pricing.

As for pioneer Jim Henson-- two nights ago I met the new Kermit-- Steve Whitmire is the heir apparent to Jim. Gifted puppetmaster thrilled an invite-only crowd here in Boston, along with producer David Hoberman, who is just now in first cut on Disney's THE MUPPETS. It looks like a scream.

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytip:
Nudge a Canvas layer by SUBpixels
with Command-Option with Arrow keys !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
April 10, 2011 01:56AM
"Nudge a Canvas layer by SUBpixels

with Command-Option with Arrow keys !"

I think just the Option key is enough.

All the best,

Tom
April 10, 2011 02:59AM
Command option moves in smaller increments that just option though. Up and down it moves in increments of .01, instead of 1.0. Weirdly, left and right it moves .75 at a time with option, and .08 OR .07 (seemingly randomly) with option command. Not sure who figured out the maths on that one.

April 10, 2011 06:44AM
dependent on the pixel aspect ratio?
April 10, 2011 08:27AM
Don't think so. I mean move it once, and it's .08. Move it again and it's .07. So, within the same clip. Maybe its a rounding of a percentage that is almost exactly half, so it splits the difference.

April 10, 2011 08:56AM
Seriously tho ... switch to a square pixel timeline and check again ... and yes, the motion tab only displays point values to two degrees of precision, so 0.075 is shown as 0.08, but the more accurate value is held internally so that when you add another 0.075 then it's total is correctly shown as 0.15 ... eek, we should add this to the video maths thread!
April 10, 2011 07:26PM
Ah that explains it. Damn rounding! *shaking fist*

April 10, 2011 11:21PM
If the new FCP doesn't float your boat, Avid is offering a crossgrade to MC for $995. So it's a win-win!

- Justin Barham -
April 11, 2011 07:26AM
Or put another way ...

If the new FCP does float your boat, Avid is still offering a crossgrade to MC for $995. So it's a win-win!
April 11, 2011 11:01AM
Here's my dumb question of the day? But is Apple upgrading the whole studio suite, like Motion, SoundTrack Pro, Color and so on? I've heard nothing about the other programs.
April 11, 2011 11:27AM
You won't actually hear until tomorrow night but common sense (IMHO) is the whole thing is going to be a modal type interface. This ain't just and update. It's probably a ground up re-write right down to the new Quicktime underpinnings. The apps might not exist anymore as you know it. It may be a single app with rooms or modes. No need to "round trip" anymore. I'd say it's my "hunch" but just following the logical progression of things I'd say this is a big part of the "jaw drop."
April 11, 2011 11:33AM
Jude reports-

[Command option moves in smaller increments that just option though. Up and down it moves in increments of .01, instead of 1.0. Weirdly, left and right it moves .75 at a time with option, and .08 OR .07 (seemingly randomly) with option command.

Oooooo, good call on that, Ms. C!

[Not sure who figured out the maths on that one]

Same folks who gave us that tasty delicious FCP scaling algorithm Tom loves so much ;-)

Be curious to see if that's been rectified tomorrow.

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytip:
Nudge a Canvas layer by SUBpixels
with Command-Option with Arrow keys !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
April 11, 2011 12:49PM
One single app for everything without the round tripping would be nice. I hope they put more of Shake in there and better green screen plugins.
April 11, 2011 02:41PM
Have you looked at the new Phyx Keyer 2 which works in Motion and FCP?
I believe they had a plugin for Shake
[www.phyxware.com]
and some info here if you scroll down
[www.noiseindustries.com]

Basically I think their keyer was called Matte Collection in Shake
[www.phyx.biz]
and here
[www.phyxware.com]
April 11, 2011 02:44PM
Message posted despite spam warning. Odd indeed.
April 11, 2011 02:48PM
I haven't seen the "Phyx Keyer 2" before. I watched the video and it looks to easy. I can't believe it worked that fast and it came out clean. If it works like they are showing... it's worth the money. Thanks, Craig for the link.
April 11, 2011 03:20PM
I've used Phyx Keyer 1 in FCP but I haven't tested 2 which I know have.
Keyer 1 was very nice clean. As you can see they did features specific to working with less then great source material. That they have chroma smoothing for 4:1:1 and 4:2:2 (which also works with 4:2:0) is very nice. Lightwrap is nice as well. It's well though out. Heck the demo is free. Given what I believe to be the code base I suspect it will easily integrate into upcoming FCS as well.
April 11, 2011 03:25PM
Andy Mees Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Or put another way ...
>
> If the new FCP does float your boat, Avid is still
> offering a crossgrade to MC for $995. So it's a
> win-win!

I like your wording better Andy.

Actually, another way to think about it is; if you were going to by Media Composer, you could actually save money by first buying FCP and doing the crossgrade.

Who's have thought a few years ago that you could buy Final Cut Studio, Media Composer, and DaVinci Resolve, all for a grand total of $3,000? Not too shabby.

- Justin Barham -
April 12, 2011 05:32AM
>Actually, another way to think about it is; if you were going to by Media Composer, you could actually save money by first buying FCP and doing the crossgrade.

Lol That's brilliant smiling smiley
April 12, 2011 12:14PM
T-12 or so and counting...

Pretty amazing news too about prime vendors moving over to Mac and FCP. Assume they all got a heads up on at least some of the details, too much of a coincidence otherwise. Should be a strong indicator that we're not going to see iMovie Pro as some would lead us believe.

Fascinating times these. Can't recall a release of any NLE generating this much buzz.
April 12, 2011 12:31PM
I have to say Apple wouldn't choose to present at a SuperMeet filled with editors who run businesses, work at big facilities or even manage such facilities, if they were "dumbing down" Final Cut. I think we're going to see ENTERPRISE based features and THAT'S why prime vendors are taking this seriously. ThunderBolt really is going to open some powerful solutions.

If Apple were doing "iMovie Pro" they'd be presenting in a controlled environment to the mainstream press and not an audience of demanding professional editors (who may well have been interested to hear what Avid had to say no less).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics