OWC Raid 5 Doesn't Mount

Posted by Chris B. 
OWC Raid 5 Doesn't Mount
April 06, 2011 07:02PM
Hello Everyone,

I was working off of my OWC Qx2 with 4x2TB Hitachi 7200rpm drives via eSata. It has run silky smooth since I got it a few months ago.

Today while working, FCP froze up and wouldn't Force Quit (it'd close all the app windows, but not fully quit). I tried to Shut Down, and when doing so the computer then froze, and after 10 minutes of letting it try to close on its own, I did a hard shutdown. I let the machine sit for 5 minutes. When I rebooted, I got the "The disc you inserted is not readable by this computer" message asking me to Intialize, Eject, or Quit. The drive isn't recognized by Disc Warrior, and any Disc Utlity repairs are all greyed out.

I tried connecting via Firewire and USB, each several times, but with the same results. I have 95% of this data backed up on another OWC RAID 5, but was hoping there was some tricks I could try before giving up hope on that 5% or so. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks a ton!

-Chris
Re: OWC Raid 5 Doesn't Mount
April 06, 2011 10:50PM
...time to contact OWC:

[eshop.macsales.com]

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

April 07, 2011 02:39PM
Thanks, Joey. I'll definitely write them and see what other steps to try in the future.

I went ahead and formatted the drive and copied over everything from the backup last night. Looks like all is well here? just a little time wasted.

Thanks again for getting back to me.
April 07, 2011 05:00PM
This is not a good sign, though. The very purpose behind using RAID5 is precisely to avoid a scenario like yours. It'd be worth it to get on OWC a bit and find out how this happened.

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics