Multiclip fine cutting?

Posted by wordsworth 
Multiclip fine cutting?
April 08, 2011 12:00PM
Hi, I'm wondering what the best method is for fixing, and fine cutting a long messy multiclip project with sync issues galore?

My initial approach was to nest the multiclip in a timeline with each camera angle placed on it's own track. That worked pretty good, and brought me back into traditional editing, but I'm nervous cutting/adding dissolves into the problematic multiclip track when correcting mistakes. Some clips are far out of wack, so it means almost rebuilding/recutting sections from scratch.

What's the best way to approach this in normal clip land?

Thanks!
Re: Multiclip fine cutting?
April 08, 2011 08:31PM
So, the originals are out of sync and they have been made into a multiclip, then cut?

April 09, 2011 07:05PM
Essentially, we tried to do multiclip editing....there was some slippage issues we didn't catch, and some camera breaks. We have a rough cut that falls out of sync in places...then back in sync. The offset isn't predictable.
April 09, 2011 07:23PM
It's really hard for me to imagine how and where and how often the problems occur, so I don't know that I can help much, but is it possible to isolate the problem areas only and fix the sync by hand in them, or is the whole cut out of whack?

If not you might be up for a lot of using 'f' and timecode matching to rebuild the cut.

April 10, 2011 01:35AM
You don't mention your edit system specs.

This is sounding more and more like you have to doctor each camera angle by itself- treating the breaks slugged with black-- and once the synch is established for each angle throughout, export and reimport each single angle and join them for multiclip work and make a new cut.

Maybe I don;t get the clear picture but I hope if you're nesting that you're not doing that "traditional edit" on the nest containers themselves? Each time you slice into a nest you create two identical containers of the clips within, and rob a lot of RAM this way. Could be affecting your synch.

Otherwise, as Jude says... timecode match, dropping liberal F-bombs.

Were all cameras matched for format and frame rate? Do you see realtime preview green bars above the individual tracks before multiclip joining? If so, I bet the computer is trying to keep them in synch on the fly with formats it can do natively-- sapping CPU power. This treat-export-reimport workflow allows you to convert off-format into native format as well.

Just thoughts...

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytip:
Nudge a Canvas layer by SUBpixels
with Command-Option with Arrow keys !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
April 10, 2011 06:41PM
"I hope if you're nesting that you're not doing that "traditional edit" on the nest containers themselves? "

That is unfortunately what I'm doing. Better workflow suggestions, much appreciated though!

CPU wise, everything is cool ... but it doesn't feel stable in terms of avoiding the creation of brand new sync issues, every time I do anything.

The rough cut is so in and out of sync, it's impossible to figure out any one problem area, or frame offset for an easy correct - but I can essentially go cut by cut, check the sync to the original camera in a traditional editing timeline, and where things are out of sync, cut to the original camera. I was thinking of exporting the multiclip as a self contained movie to do this, rather than using my nested multiclip.

Hopefully this is making sense, and I can get some guidance. Thanks again.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics