This might be a stupid question.....but HELP! I have a G5 and would like to edit with it

Posted by mich hammerstien 
I am a long time Mac user, close to switching to PCs for good, after my 9 hours of nightmares with mac yesterday.

Without going into it, or which trash cans my old versions of dvd studio poor or FCP went into:
IF I have a Mac g5, with 6 gigs of ram, 10.4.11, which version of FCP or FCP studio can I get a few months of lackluster performance from? From the research I have done it LOOKS like I could go with FC Studio 5 which has DVD studio poor 4. In the mean time I have a prolific amount of award winning work done on imovie and burned with idvd, which haven't failed me very often.

Is it worth investing hard earned money to buy software that takes an additional 100 steps, months of learning, and an eternity rendering, to do what imovie does now? If so why and which version can my older g5 handle?

So sorry if I sound sardonic, I am really, really, biting my tongue here, self editing how I feel about mac after yesterday.
I use a G5 with 10.411, FCP 6.02, and honestly, it I had a choice
I would upgrade to a 12 core Mac Pro, if I could.

Don't dis the Mac, IMHO FCP is the Best editing software for video media out there.

Hope thing go better!

mich hammerstien Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am a long time Mac user, close to switching to
> PCs for good, after my 9 hours of nightmares with
> mac yesterday.
>
> Without going into it, or which trash cans my old
> versions of dvd studio poor or FCP went into:
> IF I have a Mac g5, with 6 gigs of ram, 10.4.11,
> which version of FCP or FCP studio can I get a few
> months of lackluster performance from? From the
> research I have done it LOOKS like I could go with
> FC Studio 5 which has DVD studio poor 4. In the
> mean time I have a prolific amount of award
> winning work done on imovie and burned with idvd,
> which haven't failed me very often.
>
> Is it worth investing hard earned money to buy
> software that takes an additional 100 steps,
> months of learning, and an eternity rendering, to
> do what imovie does now? If so why and which
> version can my older g5 handle?
>
> So sorry if I sound sardonic, I am really, really,
> biting my tongue here, self editing how I feel
> about mac after yesterday.
Re: This might be a stupid question.....but HELP! I have a G5 and would like to edit with it
April 08, 2011 03:53PM

I am a long time Mac user, close to switching to PCs for good, after my 9 hours of nightmares with mac yesterday.

Without going into it, or which trash cans my old versions of dvd studio poor or FCP went into:
IF I have a Mac g5, with 6 gigs of ram, 10.4.11, which version of FCP or FCP studio can I get a few months of lackluster performance from? From the research I have done it LOOKS like I could go with FC Studio 5 which has DVD studio poor 4. In the mean time I have a prolific amount of award winning work done on imovie and burned with idvd, which haven't failed me very often.

Is it worth investing hard earned money to buy software that takes an additional 100 steps, months of learning, and an eternity rendering, to do what imovie does now? If so why and which version can my older g5 handle?

So sorry if I sound sardonic, I am really, really, biting my tongue here, self editing how I feel about mac after yesterday.

First of all...not a good way to start asking for help by stomping on our beloved platform. You didn't even mention the "nightmares with the mac yesterday". You also didn't give any details on your G5...and why is your FCP in the trash?

Second...please refrain from the sarcastic "dvd studio poor" and other snipey comments if you want help. Trolls do that to pick fights with us Fanboys...and this forum is LOADED with Fanboys grinning smiley

That said...

There is no "FC Studio 5"...only Final Cut Studio 3. If you have a prolific amount of award winning work on imovie & idvd and that is working out fine, why change it?

As for "investing hard earned money"...I would not invest money in old technology and you have that in a G5. The Octocores are super-affordable and kick the crap out of all the G5's.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Re: This might be a stupid question.....but HELP! I have a G5 and would like to edit with it
April 08, 2011 08:37PM
What was the problem that took nine hours of your time?

And if you can't tell the difference between the feature set in FCP and iMovie, then no, it's probably not worth upgrading. I don't mean that in a nasty way - I mean if you're truly happy, it does everything you need, and it works for delivering to your market, then you don't need to change.

April 08, 2011 08:46PM
My history with iDVD -- combined with the history of multiple users who have wrangled with it -- have pointed to iDVD having a lot more problems than DVD Studio Pro.

I know at least four places that are still running PowerPC G5s with Final Cut Pro 5 and 6. None of them has experienced the kind of meltdown you've described. Usually, it's the result of neglect, human error and lack of maintenance that leads to that kind of catastrophic failure, even with eight-year-old machines.

And if you think Macs are buggy...you'll be reminded of how much more so PCs are once you switch back.

www.derekmok.com
My G5 works great with FCP 6 on OS X 10.5.8 (for some reason a lot of people think the latest OS PowerPC machines can run is Tiger; this is incorrect).

But Intel Mac Pros have been out for 5 years now so there's a decent second-hand market. I'm sure you could pick up a first-gen quad core for not too much money.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
April 09, 2011 12:40PM
What the guys said. I, like Jon, have done quite some work on a G5 running tiger, leopard on FCP 6, as well as FCP 5. No issues if you don't need ProRes HD, and you won't want to use it with avc formats or H.264 transcoding. That, and RED too.

Do tell us what issues you are having so we can get down to the problem instead of ranting about it. Believe me, without a good description of the problem, it's pretty near impossible to figure out what's going on. Yesterday I had a call and someone from work was trying to figure out why they can't edit RED in real time. There is some RT performance with the lower rez Red proxies, bit without a whiff of what the editor was doing, it is impossible to figure out, and I have seen many editors out there who don't bother reading up on the formats they are working with. Heck, back in the old days, it was a laugh and a joke if people call themselves editors but can't check an EDL. Today, they think it happens just at the snap of a finger.

So, stop ranting, and start learning. Or at least tell us what's going on. That or hire someone who knows.

www.strypesinpost.com
Let's see...

Registered just yesterday and it's the first post... check.

Misspelled both first and last names (could be a nickname?)... check.

Post itself is a bit over-the-top... check. Loved the part about "award-winning" pieces, using just iDVD and iMovie (what awards?)...

Joey said that trolls do this kind of post... well, it is probably the case... You/we have been gaslighted, punked, duped... take your pick...
winking smiley
April 10, 2011 02:04PM
Lol. I missed the award winning part. That is funny! Maybe it is an award winning medical thesis with an embedded video clip as a small part of a PowerPoint presentation. Nuff said. I'm outta this one.

www.strypesinpost.com
<"I have a prolific amount of award winning work done on imovie and burned with idvd">

REALLY!! Is any of your "award winning work" on the internet that we can view?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics