Flip 4 Mac Studio Pro HD Issues

Posted by Ken Kessie 
Flip 4 Mac Studio Pro HD Issues
April 12, 2011 12:45PM
O.S. 10.5.8
FCP 6.02
Quicktime 7.6.4

I just upgraded to Flip 4 Mac Studio Pro HD 2.3.8.1, and started having Quicktime conversion crashes on a previously rock solid system.

2 questions...

1. Anybody having problems with Flip 4 Mac 2.3.8.1?
2. Any older versions of F 4 Mac S P HD that are working perfectly for you?

Thanks,
Ken Kessie
Re: Flip 4 Mac Studio Pro HD Issues
April 12, 2011 01:20PM
Im currently on 2.3.6.5 and everything is working.

A couple of workarounds you can try for now is:
1. export to QT first then reopen in QT Pro and then choose Windows Media for your export choice.
2. send to compressor and export to wmv from there.

Maybe that can help you for now.

Not sure if this will have anything to do with your problem, but I noticed you are still on 10.5. As new versions/updates come out some of them require a certain OS version to work properly even if its not noted anywhere before installation.

I am currently on 10.6.6 with FCP Studio 3 as well as FX Factory Pro and everything is working with each other.
April 12, 2011 06:49PM
I do all WMV Exports from a Self Contained Quicktime...never do any "conversions" from FCP. Export your FCP timeline using "Current Settings" and tick "Self Contained Quicktime", open in QT Pro and export the WMV.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

April 12, 2011 06:57PM
PPC or Intel Mac? With 10.5.8 it could be either.
BTW have you run Software Update? FCP on 10.5.8 should be 6.0.6 and Quicktime should be 7.6.9.
That could be your fundamental problem. Flip4Mac is a Quicktime component and if you update that to the current version they you really should update QT, which it relies on, to the current version as well. I think you should do the same for FCP.

Repair Disk Permissions after doing the updates and reboot and test using a quick Flip4Mac preset like One Pass VBR Presentation Low.

I have a bunch of Macs here and on my 10.5.8, FCP 6.0.6, QT 7.6.9 box, I did export from QTPro using the above preset and it works fine.

IMHO, never update one component of software and leave other dependent components behind. That's inviting compatibility issues.
April 12, 2011 11:09PM
It's an Intel.
I appreciate all the info.
I really hate to upgrade out of a combination that is rock solid.
Before the Flip 4 Mac upgrade I probably crashed FCP once in the past year!
April 12, 2011 11:13PM
If you're not going to update FCP or Quicktime then you may need to downgrade Flip4Mac.
April 13, 2011 12:33AM
That's my plan.
Will wait a coupla days for my input from the Lafcpugers.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics