Reconnecting Media

Posted by FilmBase 
Reconnecting Media
April 14, 2011 03:59PM
Is there a way to reconnect media in a Timeline back to media in the Browser?

Below is an example of what I'm going through.

I have three identical clips in the Browser with the same name buried in different Bins. I'll call the clip Footage1.

My Timeline has an edited sequence of Footage1 from the three clips in the Browser. I delete two of the Browser clips and rename the Footage1 clip to FootageNEW.

Some of my clips in the Timeline reflect the name change and some don't, indicating to me that some of the clips in the Timeline came from the other two clips in the Browser even though they all reference one media file in my Capture Scratch.

The only way I know how to get the clips in the Timeline to all have the same name is by placing my Playhead on a Footage1 clip, Match Frame it and write down the timecode and length of it. Then open the FootageNEW clip into the Viewer, enter the recorded timecode and length and Replace it into the Timeline.

Just FYI: I did not start this project, I'm coming into it half way through and realizing there was no organization to it.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

-- Jeff

FCP 7.0.3
Re: Reconnecting Media
April 14, 2011 04:06PM
Select the clip, right click, and choose reconnect media. Relink that clip. Run through the footage and find other clips that may not be affiliate clips but originate from the same media in the Finder.

A shortcut is to do a keyword search in the timeline for the name of the clip and select reveal all. All the clips will be highlighted. Then reconnect them.

www.strypesinpost.com
April 14, 2011 04:42PM
Thanks for the reply, Strypes.

I hadn't even thought of doing a keyword search in the Timeline. Great suggestion, thanks. Unfortunately, though, reconnecting a clip in the Timeline by right clicking on it and navigating to the media file in the Finder doesn't work for me. The clip in the Timeline still has the Footage1 name. I even renamed the media file to match the name of the clip (FootageNEW) and the clip in the Timeline still says Footage1.

The next thing I tried was making the clip in the Browser offline. All my clips in the Timeline with the Footage1 name and FootageNEW name went offline. I reconnected the Browser clip and they all came back online but their names stayed the same.

I next did a variation of what I tried above. I made the Browser clip offline and reconnected the clips in the Timeline individually. When I reconnected the clip in the Timeline named Footage1 to the media file named FootageNEW, the name did not change but remained Footage1.

-- Jeff
April 14, 2011 04:53PM
> All my clips in the Timeline with the Footage1 name and FootageNEW name went offline. I
> reconnected the Browser clip and they all came back online but their names stayed the same.

Reconnecting a clip to a differently named file does not change the name of the clip in the Browser and Timeline. To do that, select the master clip in the Browser and retype the name, or select the clip in the timeline and press APPLE-9, and do the renaming there.

This is why you always want to get the media names correct (each one unique) before you start editing. It's possible to change it afterwards, but it's a pain in the neck, and there are traps in there.

www.derekmok.com
April 14, 2011 05:11PM
Thank you, Derek. The Item Properties (Apple+9) works perfectly for me in renaming the clips in the Timeline and changing the labels to match the original Master Clip. I didn't realize I could do so much changing in that window.

Yes, it's a little time consuming but it's much better than what I was originally doing.

Ahh, the joys of stepping into someone else's mess.

Thank you, Strypes and Derek, for your replies.

Cheers.

-- Jeff
April 19, 2011 02:43AM
Ah. I read the message wrongly. I thought he wanted to reconnect the existing footage (eg. offline footage) to another set of footage that had a different name. My bad

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics