what happened to the forum?

Posted by Michael Horton 
what happened to the forum?
April 15, 2011 02:28AM
I dont know yet. Working on it. Should show at least 40 threads. Seems to be only affecting Cafe LA. Hopefully fixed very soon. Stand by

Michael Horton
-------------------
Re: what happened to the forum?
April 15, 2011 03:59AM
Heee .. the only thing I noticed was that it was swamped with FCPX posts Michael. Even had to resort to "Mark all as read".
April 15, 2011 11:26AM
When I checked the forum yesterday there were 4 stickies and nothing else; as this forum is almost 10 years old
(The first message is late June 2001, or theresabouts) It would have been a shame to lose all these messages.
April 15, 2011 11:30AM
The posts are still here but just not showing up on front page. I'm still working on this. Phorum support is no help yet and i've got an email into a guru but no response yet. VERY frustrating and such bad timing.

Michael Horton
-------------------
April 15, 2011 12:31PM
Murphy's Law.
April 15, 2011 12:38PM
I'm just working on this problem. Let's see what I can find out.
April 15, 2011 01:45PM
Quick Test Message

Michael Horton
-------------------
April 15, 2011 03:54PM
OH NO!!! APPLE HAS TAKEN OVER THE LAFCPUG!!!

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

April 15, 2011 05:49PM
Or kicked LAFCPUG out of the server!!!

steve-sharksdelight
April 15, 2011 06:18PM
Update: we have discovered what we believe is the problem (database error in the mysql) and now need to install an php admin tool to see if we can fix it. Getting closer.

Michael Horton
-------------------
April 15, 2011 07:01PM
How does a database error happen all on it's own? I never understand how these things just suddenly fail. It's creepy. Evil robots?

April 15, 2011 08:20PM
Simple:
261,406 posts, 12099 user entries and 1 error in the database, possibly due to the overwhelming user activity during the SuperMeet.

I've just fixed the message database and all is well again (in terms of the messages).
April 15, 2011 08:31PM
Woo Hoo!! it's fixed!! Everyone thank Christoph Vonrhein of the magnificent CHV Plug-ins for fixing this. It was a LOT of detective work and he came through as usual. Brilliant!

Michael Horton
-------------------
April 15, 2011 08:37PM
Thanks!

I still have to fix the thing with your user account, which was also damaged in the turmoil. All your old message show up as "Anonymous User". The link between the messages and your repaired user account is broken. Let's see if I can get this fixed, too. :-)
April 15, 2011 09:53PM
Thank you Christoph...Brilliant.

April 16, 2011 12:05AM
After digging deep in Mike's mySQL database for many hours: The board is fixed and is back to normal again.
April 16, 2011 12:23AM
Thanks Mr CHV, you rock smileys with beer
April 16, 2011 09:19AM
Erm, is that a euphemism, Chris? tongue sticking out smiley Thanks for fixing it.

April 16, 2011 09:48AM
Actually it was (kinda) fun to fix the board. I haven't worked with mySQL databases in a while and it was good to dig deep and write cryptic commands in the shell, hoping at the same time not to grill the board (I've made a backup of the database before I came along with the terminal commands... just too be safe).

Somebody asked: How can this happen? Actually, it should not happen. But it did. Obviously the vast amount of users on the board right after the SuperMeet was just too much to handle for the server. Luckily it could be fixed... and now I the tools installed to get much faster access to the database in case something like this happens again.
April 16, 2011 11:18AM
Thank you Christoph!
April 16, 2011 02:36PM
Thank you Christoph.

Harry.
April 16, 2011 04:35PM
Jude just put a dirty dirty picture in my head...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics