fcp 7.03 trim function bug

Posted by scoundrel8 
fcp 7.03 trim function bug
April 18, 2011 01:25PM
Has anyone had this problem, when I go into trim mode, and shift back or foward a frame or any number of frames, the trim window jumps randomly to some other park of the clip. Even the counter on the trim window will say -15:04 or something like that on one side and +7:09 or something on the other side. even if i'm doing symetrical trims it randomly goes to different numbers on either side. It's gotten to where I can't trim at all. Very frustrating in that I'm cutting a feature with a tight deadline and I went to bat for this system over avid. I've tried not using dynamic trim, no help. I've tried importing the timeline into a new project, no dice. Any idea??
Re: fcp 7.03 trim function bug
April 19, 2011 02:17AM
i haven't had that happen.

"trim window jumps randomly"

have you tried trashing preferences?
[www.lafcpug.org]

what sort of media are you using?

nick
April 19, 2011 08:27AM
Yes, I have experienced the problem before. It happens when working with audio that was synched from a different source with a different TC. Sometimes being in "linked" timeline mode helps - sometimes it doesn't. It's really annoying, I know. It caused me to adjust my methods. Now, in trim mode, I usually click on one side of the trim, use the little rolling wheel to choose what looks like the perfect frame, and hit In or Out to set the new frame. Then, if I need to change it more, I'll arbitrarily add frames 1 at a time. It might sound cumbersome, but you get really good at choosing the correct frame the first time around so that you don't even need much trial and error. What I'm saying is, this bug made me a faster editor.
May 02, 2011 12:47AM
I gave up on the Trim Edit window almost immediately.

The easiest way to trim is to stay in the timeline and not bother with the big trim Edit window-- my opinion, of course.

Using V (Select closest edit), U (Cycle trim sides), plus or minus keys, or on center trim, positioning the playhead and the E (extend) key, I can trim one or linked tracks very rapidly.

With Control-L (Looping enabled) I can also cycle the cut while trimming to audit the result.

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytip:
Nudge a Canvas layer by SUBpixels
with Command-Option with Arrow keys !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
May 02, 2011 04:49AM
You gave up too soon Loren. It's the best way to actually see what's outside your edited selection, beyond the marked I/O. It's the only way to see the material, decide whether you want to ripple or roll, without basically doing it by trial and error in the timeline.

All the best,

Tom
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics