Film Light leak effects - free.

Posted by harry323 
Film Light leak effects - free.
April 20, 2011 01:05PM
[www.digitalcinemafoundry.com]

This links to four short Quicktime 1080p and 720p light-leak effects that seem so desirable these days. These are not plug-ins. They are short shots that some bloke did on an HVX 200 and kindly donated to the world.

I bet they don't have this in FCP X.

Best

Harry.
Re: Film Light leak effects - free.
April 20, 2011 04:52PM
that's what it's about . . although i make all my own unique textures, this stock item for commercial projects will be on the ammo shelf for sure . . . donation imminent,

Bluey,
April 21, 2011 03:14AM
Hey, very cool, good one.

Thanks muchly.
April 21, 2011 04:55PM
That's great, Harry. Thanks. I hardly ever use effects like this, but these are perfect for a job I'm working on at the moment.

Just wondering if anyone knows of anything similar which creates the effect of those rolling white lines you get when you fast forward videotape ?

Mike
April 21, 2011 06:39PM
I don't know of one off hand but if you have a tape machine it would be easy to create one. Just live record a blacked tape and composite that over your shot.
April 23, 2011 12:44PM
just youtube it then streamclip - the youtube is littered with vhs textures, the furthest thing form rocket science there is - just export and comp-mode, done

Bluey,
April 26, 2011 04:01AM
My apologies for the late response. I had to go away for a few days and didn't have access to the web.

Bluey - thanks for your suggestion. While you say it's not rocket science, I have to say I can't find anything on youtube that looks remotely useable. I've searched for "VHS textures" and "videotape fast forward" - etc - but no luck. Anyway - how do you get the file of a youtube video these days ? Used to be that you could use PWN, but that doesn't seem to work anymore. Guess all my years training to be an astronaut were wasted.

Vance - your suggestion seems to be the best option, so thanks for that. I'm working on it.

In the meantime, for the offline cut, I'm using the "BadTV" filter that comes with FCP.

best

Mike
April 26, 2011 04:12AM
texture is one thing, but there are all sorts of other effects going on with video f/fwd.

one memory of video f/fwd i have is of the image sort of multiplying as the speed increased.
double speed would give me two versions of the image squished horizontally to fit,
double again and i'd get 4 images, etc, etc.
also a lot of tearing abd skewing of the image.

the multiple image thing might have been on be the more pro off-line gear i worked on (betacam)

still, i'm pretty sure that even on VHS there'd just be a few bands of the image off-set and skewed,
with noise & tearing

actually the opening scene of Maichael Heneke's "Cache" has a really neat version of this, without the texture,
so it takes you by surprise, and has a a pretty weird effect of real life fast-forwarding and re-winding.

nick
April 26, 2011 04:41AM
Nick Meyers Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> one memory of video f/fwd i have is of the image
> sort of multiplying as the speed increased.
> double speed would give me two versions of the
> image squished horizontally to fit,
> double again and i'd get 4 images, etc, etc.
> also a lot of tearing abd skewing of the image.

Yes, yes, yes - multiplying images is exactly what I had in mind. Ideally, both for f/fwd and rewind. So - many thanks Nick, for the definition.

I've seen "Cache" but don't particularly remember the effect. But then - the best effects should always get lost if the film is good enough.

Mike
April 27, 2011 07:06AM
Mike Hardcastle Wrote:
> My apologies for the late response. I had to go
> away for a few days and didn't have access to the
> web.
>
> Bluey - thanks for your suggestion. While you say
> it's not rocket science, I have to say I can't
> find anything on youtube that looks remotely
> useable. I've searched for "VHS textures" and
> "videotape fast forward" - etc - but no luck.
> Anyway - how do you get the file of a youtube
> video these days ? Used to be that you could use
> PWN, but that doesn't seem to work anymore. Guess
> all my years training to be an astronaut were
> wasted.
>
> Vance - your suggestion seems to be the best
> option, so thanks for that. I'm working on it.
>

Mike - you have to keep digging to find the best textures, try different searches - it's like hunting for vinyl, the gems may not be labeled as such,

just go to streamclip (free download app just google it) open the url, download and then export to mov

for starters you could try typing in youtube search 'strange things found at the end of vhs tapes'. there are numerous examples out there - you just have to be bothered, dedicated the time and look.

all the plug-ins, parameters abound, in my opinion are no match for true, authentic, real vhs distortion. you could even just fwd, rewind with the lights off and film the tv, make your own . . .

. . . or just play out your clip/s to a knackered old vhs tape and trawl it back and forth through a knackered, barely working vhs player, recording the results, that's what 'i've done at it looks great, authentic 101.

Bluey,
April 27, 2011 05:18PM
bluey Wrote:
> just go to streamclip (free download app just
> google it) open the url, download and then export
> to mov

'Strewth ! I've been using streamclip for years and didn't realise it could download from youtube.

> for starters you could try typing in youtube
> search 'strange things found at the end of vhs
> tapes'. there are numerous examples out there -
> you just have to be bothered, dedicated the time
> and look.

OK - got it. "end of vhs tape" was the goer.

> . . . or just play out your clip/s to a knackered
> old vhs tape and trawl it back and forth through a
> knackered, barely working vhs player, recording
> the results, that's what 'i've done at it looks
> great, authentic 101.

This has to be the best method. Fortunately, I am the proud owner of just such a machine.

Many thanks

Mike
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics