Spinning Newspaper Headline Effect

Posted by Nadia Scholnick 
Spinning Newspaper Headline Effect
April 27, 2011 02:59PM
Greetings,
Forgive me if this has been covered already (my search turned up nada), but I'm wondering if there's a tutorial available to teach how to create that 1950's spinning newspaper headline effect that was so popular in B movies back in the day. I have a sneaking suspicion I need to use Motion for this, and since I don't know that program, I'm afraid I could spend hours, days, months trying to figure out what I need. So, if it can be done easily in FCP, that would be grand.
Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide!
nadia
Re: Spinning Newspaper Headline Effect
April 27, 2011 03:32PM
Drop your photo of the newspaper into the Timeline.

Position the Timeline's vertical line about 20 or 30 frames the LAST frame of your newspaper shot.

Double click on the shot in the Timeline.

You will now see it appear above in the Timeline in the VIEWER.

Click on the tab in the viewer called MOTION.

You are now about to set the END of your spin forwards into full frame.

Click in the following tiny little circle thingies to the Motion window: Scale, Rotation and Center. The centers of the buttons will turn GREEN. You have now set your end point with a hold at 100% for about 20 or 30 frames. You already feel good about this.

Now go back to the TIMELINE and place the vertical Timeline indicator on your FIRST frame of newspaper.

Go back to the VIEWER. The vertical line in the viewer is now at the first frame of your newspaper shot.

Click in the same three tiny buttons (Scale, Rotation and Center) and the buttons go GREEN again at this different point.

Now grab the slider called "SCALE" and drag it to the left, say to about 25.

Now turn the little clock called "Rotation" ANTI-CLOCKWISE about 3 times.

Now you have set your start point.

SAVE.

Now play your effect.

For more or less spins you change the amount of winding up you have done to the rotation. To make the newspaper come from a tiny dot to full frame, you can reset the SCALE slider to zero at the extreme left.

Phew!

I hope I got all that right.

Best wishes,

Harry.

(This message is sponsored by EEZEE-NEWSPAPER-SPIN® CORP OF AMERICA)
April 27, 2011 03:55PM
if you know your graphic styles/photoshop and how to operate all parameters in the motion tab in fcp, this should be a pretty basic albeit with a few trial and edit renders for the right spin and motion-pull/pans to yours or your client's liking . . .

alas there are many ways to skin a cat . . . graphic aptitude and a working knowledge of fcp can go a long way vs crossing the crossing the T's and dotting the I's with every piece of software under the sun,

Bluey,
April 27, 2011 04:03PM
"if you know your graphic styles/photoshop and how to operate all parameters in the motion tab in fcp, this should be a pretty basic"

But Nadia obviously does not have that knowledge, bluey. Hence my step-by-step mega tutorial.

Harry.
April 27, 2011 04:43PM
And what a grand mega tutorial is was! Harry, you and the rest of the team at EN-SCOA are magnificent. Just tried your step-by-step and it worked perfectly. Alas, Bluey, I aspire, but at present many of those parameters I should know are still a smidge beyond my reach. But, I appreciate your confidence!
Thanks again.
nadia
April 27, 2011 05:20PM
no worries nadia - and no disrespect harry, premier reply i must say, just shooting from the hip, a clear case as to why i'm not a moderator on this forum!

btw the only things i'm referencing are

1- prepping the graphic in photoshop then exporting a flattened version, png, psd whatever

2- key-framing the scale and rotate options of the graphic in the motion tab in fcp, then exporting as a .mov, grading it etc

just by using these techniques in the past i have produced work that eclipses stuff done in motion/AE whatever, and people have asked 'what did you use to do that'. i do maintain much can be done, up to a point just with photoshop and fcp,

Bluey,
April 27, 2011 05:23PM
I particularly liked the bit in the tutorial where it said: "You already feel good about this." Channeling Douglas Adams, Harry ?
April 28, 2011 09:53AM
Good one, Harry smiling smiley

nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics