Using audio plug-ins to add some decay

Posted by jwilliam 
Using audio plug-ins to add some decay
May 02, 2011 12:59PM
I've got a big trailer hit sound effect that has two seconds of decay on it naturally. I really need to have another 1/2 second of delay.

How can I use the audio filters to stretch it out a little more? My experimenting with AUDelay is coming up empty.

Any thoughts?

Jeff
Re: Using audio plug-ins to add some decay
May 02, 2011 01:11PM
DELAY or DECAY? They're different things.

www.derekmok.com
May 02, 2011 01:14PM
The SFX has 2 seconds of DECAY - that nice slow fade into silence.

To extend it, I was using the DELAY filter, and getting nowhere. The first use of "delay" above is a typo.

What I need is to stretch out the existing decay another 15-20 frames somehow.
May 02, 2011 01:17PM
If you delay the decay, you'll hear repeats, not an extended decay. You'll probably need to go to at least Soundtrack Pro if you want to try to extend the decay without changing pitch. Or, try adding reverb, or mixing in the decay of a different, longer sound to augment.

www.derekmok.com
May 02, 2011 01:21PM
I tried the Reverbration filter with no luck either. The problem I'm running into is that the SFX track doesn't fade to absolute silence, it has another hit that slams in after that :02 of decay on the first hit. When I try things like reverb, it doesn't change the duration of the decay and the new hits come in too early.

How easy is it to pick my way through Soundtrack Pro if I have zero experience. Can I edit the file there to get the extra decay I need?
May 02, 2011 02:29PM
I understand what you want. Here's a quick way to do this:

Copy your sound effect to the end of your timeline to work on it.

Now add a piece of audio SLUG right onto to the end of your sound effect. Make your SLUG about 2 seconds long.

Export that concoction as a Quicktime audio (movie).

Now grab that same Export and plonk it back into the timeline.

Now go to the AUDIO FILTERS and grab the REVERB. Drop it on the new piece of sound.

You are nearly there. You start to feel optimistic about this.

Keyframe the reverb to become active about 6 frames before the sound of your effect ends - that is to say before your new piece of audio plays the silence of what was once the SLUG.

The reverb will now run into the 2 seconds of SLUG which is now part of your effect.

Now you can do a fade down DURING the REVERB section and therefore elongate the effect.

If you are unfamiliar with KEYFRAMES, just post again for further exciting instructions.

Best

Harry.

(Brought to your by the good folks at "EEZEE-SOUND-EFFECT-EXTEND®" CORP OF AMERICA)
May 02, 2011 02:49PM
Harry has the right idea and that works fine.

However you don't need to export.

Simply nest the audio clip in a new sequence add some audio slug on the end and add the reverb on to the nest.

The nice bonus to this method is you can always extend the reverb longer if required by stretching or adding more slug into the nest.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
May 02, 2011 03:20PM
Thanks guys, both methods worked very nicely! That technique just went into my bag of tricks.
May 02, 2011 07:48PM
I love your theme you're developing there Harry. Harry's Eezee You're-Feeling-Optimistic FX.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics