Working on multiple projects scratch disc

Posted by Joe Riggs 
Working on multiple projects scratch disc
May 06, 2011 07:13PM
When working on multiple projects on at the same time (stored on different drives). Let's say I work on project X in the day and project Y at night, do I need to reset the scratch disc every time I open each project? If I set both drives up as scratch discs will that eliminate the need to switch it every time?
Re: Working on multiple projects scratch disc
May 06, 2011 07:23PM
Yes.

> If I set both drives up as scratch discs will that eliminate the need to switch it
> every time?

No. The multiple scratch disks are "hierarchical" -- files don't start going to the second set location until the first location runs out. And that should never happen -- you shouldn't fill up your primary scratch disk to that extent.

www.derekmok.com
May 08, 2011 01:09AM
Joe - are you using the brilliant Preference manager from Digital Rebellion ?
[www.digitalrebellion.com]

If you do project backups it takes care of this sort of thing perfectly. An indispensable tool - and free to boot.

Mike
May 08, 2011 12:05PM
Mike, thanks for the link.
May 09, 2011 04:39AM
Well - it's Jon Chappell and Digital Rebellion you should thank !

I pretty much fell in love with FCP from the first day I laid my hands on it. After 7 or 8 years working on Avids, I found something about FCP which was just intuitively right for me. But the one thing that really bugged me was that scratch disks were set at the program level rather than per project. Like you, I often have multiple projects on the go at the same time, with the media for each residing on seperate external drives. While Preference Manager is mostly seen as a neat way to trash preferences, to me it's real strength is the way it solves this problem.

Hope it's working for you... ?

Mike
May 12, 2011 02:42AM
Works great, thank you sir!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics