OT: Atomos Ninja...this looks ridiculously cool!!

Posted by grafixjoe 
OT: Atomos Ninja...this looks ridiculously cool!!
May 07, 2011 01:52PM
This just made my wish list...records ProRes flavors from any clean HDMI output:

[www.atomos.com]

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Re: OT: Atomos Ninja...this looks ridiculously cool!!
May 07, 2011 02:22PM
That looks like a winner to me, too. Do you know if anybody is making a locking-type HDMI cable yet? I still don't feel safe trusting these consumer-grade connectors.

FCP 7.0.3, PPro CS5.5, MPro Octo 2.8, 16 gigs RAM, Matrox MXO2, Sony EX1
May 07, 2011 02:47PM
Agreed Dave. It would be nice to have a "professional HDMI Standard" cable like a BNC twist snap lock.

This Ninja unit has a built in monitor / scene labeling / battery switching... all in the touch screen controls - and the whole thing mounts on the hot shoe! Only caveat to me (according to Atomos)...the HDMI outputs on most DSLRs have overlays on them:

"...the HDMI output will be a DUPLICATE of the viewfinder on the camera, complete with histograms, red circles, white squares and all kinds of other data. This is information you want to see in the viewfinder, but not in your actual, recorded images.

We have seen this issue on all of the Canon cameras that we have tested, and on cameras from most other manufacturers. The only DSLR camera that we know does not do this is the Panasonic Lumix GH2, which does appear to have a clean output. All video cameras from $500 and up will give you a clean HDMI output."

...have to do more research to see if it is possible to output a clean HDMI signal from a Canon 7D...then this would be a huge winner for me smileys with beer

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

May 07, 2011 03:04PM
WOW! I love how simple the controls are on the touch screen!

Nice find Joe
May 07, 2011 03:35PM
I'd love to hang this onto a new Sony FS100!

FCP 7.0.3, PPro CS5.5, MPro Octo 2.8, 16 gigs RAM, Matrox MXO2, Sony EX1
May 07, 2011 05:14PM
grafixjoe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...have to do more research to see if it is
> possible to output a clean HDMI signal from a
> Canon 7D...then this would be a huge winner for me
> smileys with beer

If I'm not mistaken, I think you just toggle through the <INFO> button in movie mode to get a clean signal out
May 07, 2011 10:18PM
I told a friend of mine about this a while ago and he said the overlay on the Canons wouldn't go away. But I'll ask him about the info in movie mode thing..

May 08, 2011 06:33AM

If I'm not mistaken, I think you just toggle through the <INFO> button in movie mode to get a clean signal out
REALLY? I thought there was still no way to get clean HDMI -
"runs of to try it out"
May 08, 2011 09:19AM
This area of the market is exploding right now ... I'm liking the SoundDevices PIX 240 (the PIX 220 is more directly akin to the Ninja tho).
[www.sounddevices.com]
May 08, 2011 12:56PM
Atomos was one of our sponsors at the Vegas SuperMeet. Been talking to them forever it seems. Took them a long while to ship but they are getting lots of buzz and the product does look sweet. So does Samurai. Look at that one. BTW they are in Melbourne for all you Aussies.

Michael Horton
-------------------
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics