How to setup HDV for the Sony V1U camcorder to upload to FCP HD

Posted by johnnykai 
How to setup HDV for the Sony V1U camcorder to upload to FCP HD
May 11, 2011 05:49PM
I just upgraded to the new iMac and need to know the settings to go from NTSC to HDV for FCP.

What are the settings I should be using on the Sony V1U for HDV recording?

What settings to I need to change on FCP to upload the video in HD?

I have been shooting and uploading to FCP in SD mode, but now want to improve on my videos to HD.

Johnny Kai
Executive Producer

Brown Bags to Stardom
1019 University Ave. Suite 204
Honolulu, HI 96826
808-951-6699
jkai@brownbagstostardom.tv
www.brownbagstostardom.com
Re: How to setup HDV for the Sony V1U camcorder to upload to FCP HD
May 11, 2011 06:19PM
Well, assuming you shot HDV and not SD miniDV, you'll just use the HDV Easy Setup.

That's the thing: you said you've been "uploading in SD mode". Do you mean you've been shooting footage at 1080i60 (or 1080p24) and then capturing (not "uploading"winking smiley as DV25 via firewire? Is that possible? I didn't know you could do a realtime down-convert over firewire. Maybe one of the other guys can comment.

First, you need to make sure that you're shooting the footage in the V1U's HDV mode (I think it only does 1080i60 and not 24). When you put the shot tapes in the camera to capture via Firewire, the camera will tell you whether the tape is HDV, DVCAM or miniDV. In the Final Cut Pro menu, select Easy Setup. When the Easy Setup window pops up, set the "Format" drop down menu to HD and the "Use:" drop down menu to HDV 1080i60 FireWire Basic. When you open up the Log and Capture window, it should be set for HDV.
May 11, 2011 07:36PM
Yes, I shot in HDV and not SD.

Yes, I was capturing in SD mode with firewire.

I will try your solution - thank you. I send a feedback.
May 11, 2011 07:45PM
Hmmm - I keep getting the "Unable to Initialize Capture Device" when I try to capture the video. It is no longer seeing the camera. I am going directly to the internal hard drive because the new iMac only has one 800 connector and no 400 connector any more.

So to avoid any issues I am not capturing to the external Hare drive because I am assuming it may interfere with the capturing from the video camera.

Any thoughts on this?
May 11, 2011 08:27PM
First, with the tape in the camera, check to make sure that the little blue format indicator light says HDV. I know you said you shot HD, but that could change everything.

Sometimes that can be fixed by, while Final Cut is running but without the Log and Capture window activated, unplugging the FW cable, turning off the camera, plugging it back in and turning the camera back on. Then open up the Log and Capture window again. If that doesn't work, check your capture settings in A/V Settings to make sure you're using HDV Firewire Basic. The Easy Setup should take care of that, but just in case, check it out.

One last thing would be to try changing the device control preset to Sony HDV Firewire.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics