Canon Vixia HF R10 Settings for FCP

Posted by JJGORDON 
Canon Vixia HF R10 Settings for FCP
May 28, 2011 04:36PM
For the Canon Vixia HF R10, what sequence, capture and device control preset settings should I use in Final Cut Studio to import videos into a session? It's all a bit confusing, given the number of possibilities!
Re: Canon Vixia HF R10 Settings for FCP
May 28, 2011 04:46PM
That's another one in the horde of AVCHD consumer camcorders. Go with ProRes. FCP's own Log and Transfer should be able to import the files.

www.derekmok.com
May 28, 2011 11:09PM
That sounds like a start. However, there are a zillion ProRes settings. And what about the Capture and Device Control settings? Where can I go to to find the best settings for this camera?
May 29, 2011 12:05AM
You don't set capture settings for these kind of cameras. You use Log and Transfer. This just imports the clips as files, transcoding to something else on the way if you wish.

ProRes (just the bog standard setting) is great. ProRes LT is also great if you're not doing a lot of back and forth to colour correction and so on. ProRes HQ is best if you're high end broadcast with a lot of work needed on the grade, or other post stuff.

So, plug in the camera and then go to Log and Transfer. Maybe check out the manual on using this function too.

May 31, 2011 11:19PM
Use Log and Transfer. Open the preferences in the Log and Transfer window (upper right hand corner and you should see a AVCHD Plugin choose what ever flavor of Pro Res you like I normally use 422 but I sometimes use LT and have even used proxy for some web stuff. You can set logs even import sections of the clips.

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
May 31, 2011 11:38PM
upper right hand corner and you should see a AVCHD Plugin

Sorry that should be ( Upper Right hand corner of the left hand side panel where the clips come in from the disk)
It's pretty much top middle.
I shoot all the LAFCPUG meetings in AVCHD from 2 cameras one a Canon Vixia and a Sony AX 2000 although I have started to use the Atomos Ninja on my Sony and shooting straight to ProRes but also shoot to card for back up.

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics