recovring mts files

Posted by videodave 
recovring mts files
June 01, 2011 10:42PM
Shot some video with my Sony HDR-AX2000. Now having trouble with the SD cards. Cannot import with L&T. Tried many different avenues. The files may be damaged. I think the cards are bootlegs (dammit)! Does anyone have any suggestions on how to recover them? Thanks

Dave
Re: recovring mts files
June 01, 2011 10:49PM
Well, for one thing, you shouldn't be importing directly from the cards in the first place. You lock the card, copy the files, and backup the files to two extra locations before you start messing with importing. Before you do anything, do that first.

Second, the #1 cause of failure in Log and Transfer is that the user messed with the file system. Did you delete any items -- including empty folders -- from the card? This is also why you shouldn't import directly from the card. With tapeless camcorders, anything you want to change on the card, you must do it with the camcorder itself. Mounting a card via a camera, and then messing with the files on the card itself, is an extremely dangerous practice akin to unwrapping your 35mm film negatives and showing them off to the sun.

If the card is indeed flawed, if you can copy the contents off, there are alternate solutions if you can get at the actual MTS files. Voltaic can convert MTS files without the file structure intact, and I think ClipWrap can do it as well. I've only used the former.

www.derekmok.com
June 02, 2011 07:09AM
Thanks for the reply. I have not done anything on the cards themselves. I am going to copy them to my HD this morning. I am able to see the MTS files so after I finish copying them I will try Voltaic. Thank you for your help. Hope I can fix this.
June 02, 2011 07:37AM
After copying files, I tried Voltaic. Got an error saying it was unable to parse the input file. Pretty sure this means I am in trouble....correct?
June 02, 2011 06:53PM
In rare cases ClipWrap can read .mts files Voltaic HD can't. Usually it's the other way round.
Can all your .mts files be corrupt? PhotoRescue does .mts. Maybe PhotoRescue can salvage parts of the files that Voltaic HD or ClipWrap can transcode.

Dennis Couzin
Berlin, Germany
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics