Looking for external drive setup

Posted by Barry 
Looking for external drive setup
June 14, 2011 10:55AM
Hi All, My department is applying for an equipment grant and I am looking into an external drive setup. I will probably be using it to archive old projects and clear out my internal raid drives. At this time and for the forseeable future I am aquiring and editing in DV/DVCAM, so I probably don't need the bestest/fastest, but need something reliable. Just to stir the pot, I see a lot of externals from OWC but I am not sure of their reliability as I have not seen them mentioned here that I can remember.

So I am soliciting opinions on what would be good and what to stay away from (I already know the opinions on Lacie). Thanx Barry
Re: Looking for external drive setup
June 14, 2011 11:05AM
You shouldn't buy equipment with just DV in mind. DV is fast on its way out even as a consumer format. I can't remember the last time even a non-filmmaker friend has used a DV camera.

For archiving purposes, I'd definitely be looking for a unit with swappable drives, like this:

[eshop.macsales.com]

I own the OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro Qx2 and I'm relatively happy with it, though it has some major flaws in my view (eg. inability to run the drives individually as a JBOD configuration; a horrible locking mechanism). Promax also offers units like these:

[www.promax.com]
[www.promax.com]

A unit that can accept at least two drives is preferable, because then you'd usually have the option of running a RAID0 or RAID1 configuration to increase speed or security.

www.derekmok.com
June 14, 2011 07:55PM
>A unit that can accept at least two drives is preferable, because then you'd usually have the
>option of running a RAID0 or RAID1 configuration to increase speed or security.

Yes and no. 2 drives can run on dual sata outputs. That would mean no raiding mechanism. Get a drive module that lets you do RAID 1 (for safety) or RAID 0 (for speed). And yea, get something with a fan and rugged metal enclosure (eg. WD Mybook, which has no fans and a problematic power unit). The fan and metal enclosure helps to cool the drive module.

www.strypesinpost.com
June 16, 2011 05:36PM
Inexpensive and perfect for DV/DVCAM: LaCie Quadras, with multiple interfaces.

The fanless LaCie drives work fine, and again, this is not for live fire but archive, as OP indicated. Wouldn't hesistate for this purpose.

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytip:
Temporarily mix down audio tracks with Command-Option - R !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack
with FCP7 KeyGuide --
now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics