Can't capture HDV footage from Sony Z1U into FCP 7

Posted by ixschell 
Can't capture HDV footage from Sony Z1U into FCP 7
June 16, 2011 02:16PM
Hi,

I'm running 10.6.7 on a Mac Pro with FCP 7.0.3. I'm trying to capture HDV footage from a Sony Z1U camera. The Log and Capture settings are: Capture/Imput: DVCPRO HD - 1080i60 Device Control: tried DVCPRO HD firewire and DVCPRO HD 1080i50.

We've changed the camera settings and did our best to follow instructions in the manual. At first I could opporate the VTR of the camera in the log and capture window. No matter what, I can't see a preview. When I choose "Capture Now" it can't locate the timecode and/or does nothing.

I have the camera connected to the computer via 400 firewire daisy chained into a hard drive. Could that be the problem? Could it be a camera setting?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

With thanks,
Colleen
Re: Can't capture HDV footage from Sony Z1U into FCP 7
June 16, 2011 03:11PM
You realize that you are trying to import HDV footage as DVCProHD footage, right?

Here is one source of info:

Working with HDV

Another cool resource if you have an iPhone:

Final Cut Pro Field Guide by Moviola

Pick the proper HDV capture presets or learn how to transcode to ProRes during import... pretty straightforward... good luck!
smiling smiley

-Dave
June 16, 2011 06:29PM
Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply. Could you please explain step-by-step how to capture HDV? I looked at the links, but I'm still don't understand which settings to choose.

Thanks again,
Colleen
June 16, 2011 07:20PM
Set camera to output HDV
Plug in and turn on camera
Put camera in VCR mode
Open FCP
Choose your HDV flavour from the Easy Setup menu
Make a new project
Call up Log and Capture window
Play and capture

June 16, 2011 09:30PM
Hi Jude,

I wish it were that simple. I've done all of the above. I'm getting an error message "Unable to locate the following external devices: HDV (1440 x 1080)60i" The camera is set to HDV in VCT mode connected to the computer via firewire. Could it be a camera setting? It's not my camera. On the menu in the camera it says HDV/DVin HDV 1080i.

I followed the Easy Set Up Menu. It's set to Format HDV. Rate: All Use: HDV 1080i60. It still can't find the camera. As I said before, earlier today, I was able to opperate the controls on the camera, but I couldn't capture. Any suggestions?

Thank you!!
Colleen
June 17, 2011 05:35AM
>>HDV/DVin HDV 1080i<<

That's 'in'. What's 'Out' set to on the camera? Make sure you're not downcoverting to DV on export from the camera.

I'm surprised you were able to control the camera before, since the computer would have been searching for a DVCPro device. It's not technically possible to detect a HDV camera with a DVCPro setting AFAIK. Were you on a different deck or camera or something?

June 17, 2011 08:36AM
If you settings are correct in FCP and in your Z1U, then you may need to restart your computer and the camcorder. For testing purposes, you should connect only your Z1U to your Mac Pro (by itself, no daisy-chaining).

- Turn off your Z1U.
- Shut down your Mac Pro.
- Check your FireWire cable connection to your Mac Pro. Turn on your Z1U and put it into VTR mode and make sure the output is set for HDV, not DV or downconvert to DV.
- Turn on your Mac Pro and launch FCP.
- Open the Log and Capture window. With a tape in your Z1U, press play on the camera and see if video shows up in L&C window. If so, proper communication has been established.

In your capture presets, you may want to customize the "HDV 1080i60" preset (or whatever it's called), if you are still having problems. You can change the device control to "Sony Firewire" (I'm not on my computer with FCP, so it may be called something a little different).

I have used a Z1U myself for many years with a Mac Pro and FCP without problems, so it's likely a settings issue (or, hopefully not, a HW issue, though not likely)...

-Dave
June 17, 2011 11:57AM
I have had bad luck with the firewire cables that connect the camera to the computer - try a new cable.

I have had bad luck with the Z1U in general, and sometimes find that it requires absurd stuff like re-booting or re-doing Jude's whole sequence once or twice.

I think the firewire connection of the Z1U is in a bad spot, when you set the camera down to capture you're putting a lot of stress on the port and on the cable. It would not surprise me if the firewire port of the Z1U went out.

If you have the option, try a different cable / camera. Monoprice sells the cables cheap (and o'nights to CA for $5), I keep several on hand.
June 17, 2011 12:07PM
One more thing to try is press "play" on the Z1U *before* launching FCP. Since HDV devices can send out HDV and DV via FW I think FCP can get 'confused' about which signal is potentially coming down the pipe. If the device is already playing back though when FCP launches then there is no room for confusion.

If that still doesn't work you'll need to check that the Mac can see that the camera is attached to it.
With the camera connected to the Mac and turned on go the Apple menu (Apple in the upper left corner of the screen)
Click About This Mac
Click More Info (to open the System Profiler)
Under the "Hardware" heading on the left hand side select FireWire
You should see your camera listed

If you don't see the camera listed there that means the Mac itself can't connect to the camera. The only three causes for that would be 1. bad FW port on your Mac, 2. bad FW port on the camera, or 3. bad FW cable.

-Andrew
June 17, 2011 06:51PM
Everyone, thank you so much for your advise!

I bought a new 400 mini 4pin to 800 firewire cable and plugged it directly into the computer. I read in the manual that the Z1U should be connected AFTER the software is launched. So, doubled checked all the settings, launched FCP, connected the camera. It worked!!!

It was the cable that caused the problem. Either the other cable was bad, or daisy chaining the camera caused the problem.

Thank you again!!!

Gratefully,
Colleen
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics