usng FCP to edit Media 100i footage.

Posted by Damon 
<HTML>Our company has a Media 100i xr system. I was recently brought on as an editor/videographer, and though the quality of image and compression ratings from the media 100 system are outstanding, thus far I find the editing platform to be lacking. Therefor what I want to do is import my digitized footage into FCP and edit....or better yet, find some way to digitize via the Media 100 hardware right into FCP. Thus far I have been unsuccessful in either. When I import the footage I get an error message claiming that the codec could not be found. However Media 100 does claim to be compatible with any Quicktime based application, I'm sure there must be a way to translate the files between platforms.</HTML>
<HTML>If you install the Media 100 Transcoder (usually in an Extra's folder inside your Media 100 install folder) then FCP could read the codec in software. But even if you could import the files (which you can) the audio and video will be in separate, unsynchronized files because of the way Media 100 digitizes. It's just not worth the effort.

There is no way to utilize your Media 100 hardware with Final Cut pro. Final Cut Pro 1 worked with Media 100 Version 4.5 era QX components when Media 100's hardware worked with Premiere. That product line is dead and the p6000 board does not work with FCP at all, the QX Components do not work with G4s or OS 9.x software etc. And none has been tested or certified by anyone (so you're on your own).

If you have the Media 100 hardware installed (the only way to actually get a full two way codec and real time playback) FCP can read and play the files very successfully. Digitize will generally crash the Mac. (But you still have the issue of unsynchronized audio and vide). With the software transcoder you'll get about 8 fps software playback on a G4/450 (scale to fit). There's no Velocity Engine enhancement like there is for the DV Codec

Whether or not the results will be better or not depends on your source. If you are using any form of DV for source then the Media 100 cannot make it better than file copy via FireWire. In fact, DV into Media 100 may be slightly lower quality due to the real-time decode to YUV/re-encode to Media 100 MJPEG codec.

Quite honestly I believe the easiest and simplest way to transfer between the two sysems is tape. Output from Media 100, digitize/import to Final Cut Pro.

Philip
Author Media 100 i Companion
DV Companion for Final Cut Pro 2
www.IntelligentAssistance.com (or buy through the LAFCPUG.org store and support LA FCP UG)</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics