Basic cost to switch to Adobe

Posted by DM 
DM
Basic cost to switch to Adobe
July 14, 2011 11:26AM
so,
from what I'm seeing, the Adobe suite costs $875.00 as a cross grade. But,....Nvidia quadro 4000 video card is at least another $700.00?
So, we're looking at 1500 plus to switch?
Re: Basic cost to switch to Adobe
July 14, 2011 11:39AM
There's a $100 rebate on the Quadro 4000

http://image.promax.com/PromoNewsletter/Adobe/campaign1/campaign1.html

PP requires a 64-bit operating system. I don't know if you have to be booted into 64-bit, or just need to have the 64-bit processor...
July 14, 2011 11:43AM

PP requires a 64-bit operating system. I don't know if you have to be booted into 64-bit, or just need to have the 64-bit processor...

So does FCPX tongue sticking out smiley

I'd wait and see what the new Mac Pro's bring in terms of GPUs - but the 4000 is a good card for PP and Resolve and Smoke and AE.

However you might want to try to find a second-hand EVGA GTX285 Mac Edition.

Or hack a PC one... (not recommended unless you know what you are doing).

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
July 14, 2011 11:59AM
So does FCPX

Yeah, I need to have the 64-bit processor, but I can stay booted into 32-bit. I wasn't sure if that was the same with PP.
July 14, 2011 12:46PM
Yeah I think so - not had any issues on the CS5 and 5.5

Not sure what CS6 will bring though.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
July 14, 2011 01:14PM
You are not required to have an nVidia card. I'm running on ATI based systems and it's running beautifully. In my case the cost to switch was essentially 0. I did update from CS 5 to CS 5.5 but we already have the Production Premium package running in all our suites already so it's jut the time to learn the new software.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
biscardicreative.com
July 14, 2011 02:50PM
Thanks guys!
DM
July 14, 2011 03:32PM
confusing. Would be nice to see a description of what you do and don't get by not using the card...
July 14, 2011 04:07PM
Yeah, and this whole mess Apple created is very confusing. But anyway, trying to keep optimistic... moody smiley

It doesn't seem like PP is calling for a card that has OpenCL. Just OpenGL. Apple is only selling computers right now with cards that have Open CL. I guess they thought we'd stay with FCP and move to FCP X??? It would be nice if Adobe would address that issue in their "SWITCH" program they got going.
July 14, 2011 04:44PM
Well, without an Nvidia card, lot of Mercury features that leverages on GPU processing would be a lot slower. There are generally 2 ways you can speed up processes- by using the GPU, and by using multiple cores. One of the main problem with using multiple cores is that assigning cores for multiple processing sometimes can take longer than using a single processor. This is true for shorter jobs such as rendering a 1 second cross dissolve. The alternative is to use the GPU co processors. PP pretty much uses CUDA to handle some processor intensive tasks like RED debayering, and h.264 encoding/decoding, so these processes are going to be affected, amongst others. OpenGL has long been used to render your real previews in AE.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 15, 2011 12:33PM
What they said, plus RAM. As much as you can get into your machine. Equally as important for CS5.5 workflows as the cards and 64 bit.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics