Which way?

Posted by Jude Cotter 
Which way?
July 19, 2011 07:20PM
So, if you're thinking of leaving FCP, maybe just for now, maybe forever, which way are you planning to go?

1. Avid (insert flavour here)
2. Adobe Premiere
3. Autodesk Smoke
4. Lightworks
5. Sony Vegas
6. Grass Valley
7. Media 100 (Do they still make this?)
8. Quantel
9. Something else
10. I'm going to work in Woolworths

This is intended to be a poll, out of interest's sake.

Re: Which way?
July 19, 2011 07:22PM
Avid for large projects, Premiere for small ones, possibly FCPX for even smaller ones once the bugs get fixed.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
July 19, 2011 07:32PM
For my part, "yes" is basically the answer.

I've done two small projects (just for myself) in Premiere so far and ? meh. It's fine. It's adequate. It basically works. I'm getting my Smoke skills back gradually; it's been a LONG time. And I'm looking for a good opportunity to lose my Avid virginity at long last.

Basically, if it runs on a Mac, I'm going to try to be at least fluent enough in it to do an edit. Maybe that's overly optimistic, but I'm going to try very hard.

July 19, 2011 08:11PM
Going to be Avid or Adobe here and possibly one Smoke if I can justify the costs. Might even be a combination of Avid / Adobe quite honestly.

Loving Adobe right now and am putting it through the wringer right now with a 200 hour, 4000 clip documentary project. Yeah, there are a few issues and we're working through them now with Adobe to find out where those issues are. Also this project was started in FCP then XML'd over to PPro so that's another wrinkle.

Yes Media 100 is very much alive, BorisFX took it over a few years ago. [media100.com]
Those I know who use it still LOVE it.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
biscardicreative.com
July 20, 2011 12:04AM
Everybody's leaving FCP for some flavor of 5.5. winking smiley

I've gone full on Media Composer as my NLE of choice. I'm also looking forward to trying Lightworks when it's ported to Mac.

- Justin Barham -
July 20, 2011 01:35AM
I will use FCP 7 until it won't boot anymore. Hopefully iMovie Pro will catch up by then and I will buy it. Already started cutting my 2011 Demo Reel on Premiere CS 5.5 which usually is the sign of things to come. I have an old Avid Express Pro dongle so I qualify for a Media Composer 5.5 upgrade for $550 which is shweet.

Meanwhile, back on the farm...

Apple has another record profit quarter.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

July 20, 2011 08:59AM
CS5.5 to repalce the suite of apps that was once FCS plus DaVinci Resolve to replace Color.
July 20, 2011 09:08AM
Justin
Lightworks when it's ported to Mac

is that on the cards, or just wishful thinking?
i'd be interested in looking into Lightworks on Mac.

Avid is the most realistic choice for me in terms of real-world work,
it's also the most conservative choice, which i find a little.. er, conservative.

does anyone know how far away MC6.0 is?
i wish i was a bit more optimistic about a sweet-heart deal for FCP users on that one.
cynically, i doubt it will happen.

FCPX is not out of the question

nick
July 20, 2011 08:29PM
@ Nick. I heard April 2012 MC6 will be released.
July 20, 2011 08:39PM
I'll be getting in heavier with Avid. I'm not totally unfamiliar with it, as that has been my 2nd NLE all this while, I've just never been too familiar with the internal workings of Avid (media management and troubleshooting on an Avid). It may be for a while or it may be for the long haul depending on how the situation pans out. I may get into Premiere just to keep my options open.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 20, 2011 08:52PM
"April 2012"

well no need to wait another 9 months!
crossgrade to 5.5 makes sense.

thank you ian.

nick
July 21, 2011 10:21AM
Nick Meyers Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > Lightworks when it's ported to Mac
>
>
> is that on the cards, or just wishful thinking?
> i'd be interested in looking into Lightworks on
> Mac.

It's on their roadmap for Q4 this year, along with Linux. Of course, I don't imagine it's going to be anywhere near stable for a while. But still, looking forward to giving it a whirl.

- Justin Barham -
July 21, 2011 12:29PM
I'm waiting for that too. I heard it may be held back a bit while they focus on getting a stable Windows build first.

www.strypesinpost.com
August 05, 2011 10:46AM
grafixjoe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I will use FCP 7 until it won't boot anymore.

That's what Matt Sliverman used to say about Commotion. I don't think he uses it any more. grinning smiley
August 05, 2011 11:46AM
Yeah I know Kev...being optimistic.

My conversations with Dave Helmly are very reassuring that Premiere CS 5.5 is only the beginning of "The Beast". The next major upgrade he told me "the pros will not be disappointed". I have been an Adobe fanboy since 1996 when I was using Premiere 4.2 and a Targa 2000 Pro to cut school work on a PowerMac 9500. I am still here...still rooting for Adobe.

Apple is plain stupid for what they have done in the last 6 months. They have some major sucking up to do smileys with beer

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics