Mac OS X Lion, New MacBook Air & Mac Minis

Posted by Ben King 
Mac OS X Lion, New MacBook Air & Mac Minis
July 20, 2011 08:00AM
[www.apple.com]

[www.apple.com]

[www.apple.com]

Mac Mini now has HDMI out and Thunderbolt - maybe with FCPX in mind.

No sign of the Mac Pros...

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
Re: Mac OS X Lion, New MacBook Air & Mac Minis
July 20, 2011 08:20AM
Mac Mini has had HDMI out for at least 6 months or so. We have one of them here and use it to play out to one of our large screens from time to time.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
biscardicreative.com
July 20, 2011 02:10PM
CHeers Walter - Can't say I looked at the previous spec - nice to know if people pic up an old model cheap. Does the old one handle FCP7/X?

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
July 20, 2011 02:47PM
We don't edit with our Mini, it's a Server and we also load it from time to time with videos to play out on our big quad screen video wall.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
biscardicreative.com
July 20, 2011 04:11PM
So is Lion any good?

www.strypesinpost.com
July 20, 2011 04:15PM
Only had 25 mins on it so far - had to switch back to do some urgent work until I had time to update some of my drivers for hardware - eg the RAIDs!

July 20, 2011 04:44PM
One REALLY annoying thing.

Now that the Quicktime Framework has been EOL'd under Lion you cannot use Quick Look or Finder Preview to see movies.

I imagine this will be the same for other CODECs too.

Going to investigate...

July 20, 2011 04:58PM
July 21, 2011 12:16AM
Cool, good to see the hegemony of Apple continuing. I feel particularly special today, almost as special as I did on June 21st. Thank you Ben for the news. At least Apple is treating us consistently and we can feel yet again, a bit more resolute in our decision to move on.

-Andrew
July 21, 2011 12:57AM
Now that the Quicktime Framework has been EOL'd under Lion you cannot use Quick Look or Finder Preview to see movies.

I'm not seeing this at all I've even been able to quick look or preview even render files.

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
July 21, 2011 10:06AM
DAMN I missed out the vital words: "ProRes"

Sorry guys...

I didn't make it clear

All other CODECs that are covered under AV Foundations work fine.

However you can view ProRes and other non-supported Quicktime CODECs via QTX as it seems to access the old CODECs I have on my system.

Going to see if there is a fix for ProRes in QuickView - maybe reinstalling FCPX?

July 21, 2011 10:07AM
...going to blame that faux pas on the lack of coffee and the shear excitement of installing a new OS. :|

July 21, 2011 02:39PM
After FCPX, I am gonna let our hero Ben boldly go into lion as i watch this thread. I am skeptical of Apple's NEXT BIG THING now.

I am telling ya, I went to a swami and he said in a reverb and multi-tap delay voice, " Apple will screw up the MacPros. " then a demon rose from the table with a Apple logo burned into his forehead and I hauled ass. hahahahahaha

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
July 22, 2011 03:04AM
Ben King Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Now that the Quicktime Framework has been EOL'd
> under Lion you cannot use Quick Look or Finder
> Preview to see movies.

Neither QuickTime nor QTKit are EOL. In fact, Apple added more features to QTKit in 10.7.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
July 22, 2011 03:50AM
Thanks Jon

Interesting - so have they just removed the access to older CODECs? Would like to be able to use QT7 if I can get them working.

Do you think there is a work-around for the QuickView ProRes issue?

I thought they were dumping QT in Favour of AVfoundations. Do you think for the interim its for legacy products such as FCP7 et al or still integral to the Mac OS?

Gotta delve more into the Lion structure of things when work allows - there seems to be some options removed in favour of alternative ways of doing things.

EG: To spotlight a File Name rather than Contents

You can type "name:[search term]" into the find box or type your search term and select search name in the drop-down that appears.

As there doesn't seem to be any immediate way of selecting search by name in a search window as per Snow Leopard without adding a search rule.

I like being able to resize the new windows from any side. Not really bothered about full-screen apps or launchpad yet.

July 22, 2011 04:54AM
The good news is that QT7pro does work.

The bad news is I cannot guarantee that its stable as I can playback most QT CODECs but cannot export without the app crashing.

Still not closer to finding a Preview/Quick Look solution for ProRes.

July 22, 2011 03:16PM
im just really, REALLY unnerved by these two recent apple "developments"

the glaring omissions of established tools and forced workflows in FCPX and now the highly automated, idiot-welcoming lion...

i dont want to sound all "conspiracy theory-ish" but i just dont think im willing to let my system tell me how to work.
Re: Mac OS X Lion, & The Atomos Ninja
July 23, 2011 01:02AM
If you are using the Atomos Ninja the drives will NOT mount in Lion! Ninja formats the drives with FAT 32 and these drives do not mount in Lion. I haven't tried reformatting a drive in Lion yet. But from what Robbie Flemming from Atomos has discovered that drive formatted in exFat mount in Lion but Fat 32 does not seem to. More when I clear out some drives.

------------------------
Dean

July 23, 2011 02:03PM
But from what Robbie Flemming from Atomos has discovered that drive formatted in exFat mount in Lion but Fat 32 does not seem to

This is Incorrect. The Ninja drive does mount in Lion just not with firewire if you use the USB connector the drive seems to mount fine. I'm going to put one of my drives into a firewire case later to see if it's just the chipset used in the Ninja drive mount.

------------------------
Dean

July 24, 2011 04:11AM
I keep hearing about them dumbing down Lion and it being automated ala FCPX, is there a list of features that are gone/automated from 10.6?
August 03, 2011 07:52PM
Rick Young states his Ninja after updating the firmware to version 2 all his drives mount in Lion. Mine still do not.

------------------------
Dean

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics