Batch Monitor - Closed App, Still Running Question

Posted by Andrew Stone 
Batch Monitor - Closed App, Still Running Question
July 26, 2011 10:01PM
I'm in the midst of compressing a 7 hour video. The usual... Set it up in Compressor, Batch Monitor received the info and it's been crunching away for about 4 hours...except I closed Batch Monitor in the midst of it's compression routine. I opened up "top", the UNIX equivalent to Activity Monitor and can see "compressord is threaded out and still crunching away on all four cores on my machine but I know it still has to pick up another 4 threads in an hour or so, to complete the multi-pass render/compression of the file.

Will it continue to compress and finalize the file or should I be killing the threads and starting over?
Re: Batch Monitor - Closed App, Still Running Question
July 26, 2011 10:07PM
On a properly functioning system, Batch Monitor is exactly that, a monitor. It just shows you what's happening and initiates no actions. Your process will crank away whether Batch Monitor is open or not. Sometimes if you try to kill processes from Batch Monitor it will incompletely shut them down and you have to resort to clearing out the temp folders and a bunch of other fiddly stuff so Digital Rebellions Compressor Repair utility is very handy to have around.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
July 26, 2011 10:09PM
If I remember right, Batch Monitor affected the compression process in Compressor 2 and below, but ever since Compressor 3, it's a separate and optional application; control (start, stop, hold etc.) of the compression processes were moved into Compressor itself. In fact, whenever I used Compressor 3, I had to launch Batch Monitor manually to see the status. So you should be able to re-open it and keep monitoring.

www.derekmok.com
July 26, 2011 10:19PM
Processes are still going but my RAID isn't thrashing about as much I would like. Maybe it's assembling some pieces. Should know around midnight (West Coast time) if it works out. Thank you gentlemen.

BTW I am running Compressor 3.0.5. Didn't make the jump to FCS 3 which was a rather prescient move I must say.
July 26, 2011 10:26PM
Derek,

I immediately reopened Batch Monitor and nothing comes up. This is what initially prompted the start of this thread... Ohhh the RAID is starting to thrash again! Most excellent.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics