ProKit issue?

Posted by Carnicelli 
ProKit issue?
July 27, 2011 05:46PM
Hello,

I'm a long time lurker and first time poster. I recently upgraded my FCS3 system from 10.5 to 10.6. The upgrade went smoothly. I downloaded all updates for FCS. I started a new project in FCP and everything has been fine. I needed a title so I launched Motion. I created my title but when I went to change the color of the text, Motion crashed. I repeated this over and over. I re-booted the system. No change. I deleted the Motion preference file. No difference. I used Digital Rebellion's FCS Remover to delete Motion and then I re-installed it. No difference. So after researching this forum it sounds like I have a ProKit issue. I was thinking that I probably have the 6.0 version. But when I checked I found out that I have 2 versions. The first is: ProKit.framework version 7.0.1. The second is: ProKit(SnowLeopard).framework.

Is this possibly my issue? If so how should I correct it? Thanks!

Bill Carnicelli

MacPro 4,1
16GB Ram
Radeon 4870
BlackMagic Intensity Pro
Re: ProKit issue?
July 27, 2011 07:56PM
Was that one of the issues with Motion and Prokit? As far as I recall, it was that things like DVDSP would open, crash, and then not open again. I realise this is not much help, just wondering if you're opening the wrong can of worms.

July 27, 2011 09:41PM
Have you read this?

[www.lafcpug.org]

It's a sticky from this board.

I don't have the same configuration as you, but I did experience multiple mega crashes which were cause by a recent ProKit update (6.02 I think). I followed the advice in the sticky and my problem was solved.

Hope it works out.

Best

Harry.
July 28, 2011 06:57AM
According to the ProKit 7 page at Apple it is one of the issues addressed.
July 28, 2011 07:00AM
I did read the sticky which is what lead me to investigate which version of ProKit I have. I found two versions installed in the PrivateFrameworks directory. I'm not sure if they both are suppose to be installed or just a single version.
July 28, 2011 07:40AM
I just checked mine and it's still 5.1, since I downgraded and haven't changed anything lately. Perhaps you could do a test by pulling one of them out and putting it in a folder on your desktop during testing, and seeing if this makes any difference to Motion. If not, return the file to its correct position and try removing the other version.

July 28, 2011 12:11PM
I would recommend moving ProKit (SnowLeopard) to your desktop, compressing it to make sure nothing tries to link to it and then removing the folder and restarting your computer. If it causes problems, decompress the file and move it back.

If it still crashes, please post your crash log here.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
July 28, 2011 07:06PM
Hello Jon,

I followed your advice and I still got crashing and errors. I attempted to re-install the SnowLeopard version of ProKit and Motion wouldn't launch. So I delated the ProKit from the directory and downloaded a fresh version of ProKit 7 from Apple and installed it. Did a repair permissions and reboot. So far everything seems to be operational again and performing as expected. Thanks everyone for taking time to help me work through this!

Bill Carnicelli
July 31, 2011 12:11AM
Carnicelli,

Yes there is an issue with ProKit 6.0 I went through the same exact things you are experiencing. Stick with ProKit 7. If you have any problems with your pro apps you can downgrade to ProKit5.0. But you should be fine now that you are one 7.0

Good luck,

Jeff
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics