Help with removing static please?

Posted by Finra 
Help with removing static please?
July 29, 2011 08:45PM
Hello All

I've been having difficulties in removing this static/cracking sound that's in this audio
I need to use for my University project... I've tried using Soundbooth, Audacity as well
as SoundSoap, but none of these programs I'm good with; I tried the basic stuff like
utilizing the tools such as Removing Noise/pops, etc but either some parts are chopped
out really bad, or it doesn't work. More likely to be that I don't even know how to remove
the sound frequency properly..

I would very much appreciate it if someone could help me take it out; its not a lot, but its
very noticeable especially in the introduction. It goes throughout the song but its barely noticeable
at some stage..

Here's the link to the mp3:

Thanks so much in advance, I will really really appreciate it!!
Re: Help with removing static please?
July 30, 2011 11:06AM
That sounds like file corruption of some sort. You MIGHT be able to fix that with CEDAR or another high end system... I'm an old Sonic Solutions user from way back... but that's not a cheap or easy proposition. Have you tried a different version of the song?

Steve
July 30, 2011 11:32AM
Seems to me that is way too loud and prominent to remove without seriously screwing with your music.

How did you do the conversion to MP3? I've only heard this problem when I play a dirty or warped CD in my car stereo. And that isn't supposed to happen if you were extracting the file digitally from a CD. Are you sure the file wasn't digitally "protected" in some way? I know some companies that sell stock audio deliberately put in "damage" so you can't use their preview files as-is.

I think you're going about it the wrong way. Pick a piece that doesn't have this problem. It's very rare that you can't find another piece of music that fits the scene.

www.derekmok.com
July 30, 2011 02:37PM
I got this off a CD from a game. Every other soundtrack is fine, it doesn't have any kind of distortion - but only this one...
I just ripped the CD off with windows media player. If it really can't be helped then I guess I'll go on a music hunt again for
the 6th round.. ><
August 02, 2011 09:29AM

I got this off a CD from a game.

...very illegal.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

August 02, 2011 01:35PM
Er, it IS legal, because it was an actual music CD with it.
August 02, 2011 05:15PM
Not to get too into the laws with this Finra... but do you actually "own" the copyright to the piece? Not just purchasing the actual CD, but the music itself with permission to use it. If not... NO... it is NOT legal... doesn't matter what form the media comes from.

There are a lot of people that use similar tracks for "temp" music in their productions, but that's all it should be... a place holder. Just because you hear the Red Hot Chili Peppers music on a YouTube video for a Puerto Rican resort... does NOT necessarily mean they purchased the rights to do so, and are violating copyright laws.

With that being said... I'm not sure about the use in a school project, and going back to your original question... no... this is not fixable.

Steve
August 02, 2011 07:31PM
> it IS legal, because it was an actual music CD with it.

Just because you paid $14 for a music CD doesn't mean you have the right to use the music for anything other than personal use. Theoretically speaking, that use doesn't even include playing it in your coffee shop, let alone syncing it with your visuals.

You're okay if it's just for an internal school project that won't be seen outside of a classroom context. ("Fair use" actually does extend to certain educational scenarios, for example photocopying a book page to distribute to the class -- this is quoted from an entertainment lawyer) But don't be misled into thinking you can license a piece of original music for the princely sum of $14.

www.derekmok.com
August 02, 2011 11:09PM

I got this off a CD from a game. / I just ripped the CD off with windows media player.

Er...that doesn't sound like a music CD to me. Game CD's are HIGHLY copyrighted & protected. I have a little insight on this as I work for a decent sized game company.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics