What to do....

Posted by mattsilfen 
What to do....
August 04, 2011 03:56PM
Need some advice and or/ feel free to share similar stories...

So a couple years ago I edited an actor's demo reel and since then, I've done several updates/revisions. Today he sends me this email:

"Hope all is going well with you.

Just wondering: a buddy of mine owed me a favor and is recutting my reel for me right now to put some new material into it. He was wondering what program/font/animation/etc you used to do the 'Excerpt from...' titles that come in on the beginning of scenes. We'd like to replicate that instead of re-uploading all the footage and doing new titles for everything.

Let me know any specifics he'd need to know on how to make one of those.

Thanks so much, and when I do a massive overhaul to the reel, you're still the first on my list to call. smiling smiley

Take care"

Now wait a minute. Not only is he giving someone else my business but he wants me to tell him how I did it? Please. I know he said he'd come back to me for a "massive rehaul" but I'll take that with a grain of salt.

My first reaction is to tell the guy to go &#!* himself but my question to everyone out there is, what would you do in this situation? I know one of you is gonna say, "You should've got a contract" and I agree, I know that now. But these reels are such small jobs and I don't even charge my full rate.

Anyone have any similar situations? Share!
Re: What to do....
August 04, 2011 04:13PM
Did you charge him to cut the initial reel?
When I do a talent reel, it's usually a favour (so that I can get these actors to do my projects for free), so I actually have the reverse situation: I give them the design files at the end so that I won't have to be responsible for them.

If you were editing his reel as a business situation, then I'd say now you should charge him FX-artist rates to create those new titles. And yeah, in that case, I'd decline to tell him what was used. Tell him it's proprietary design information. If his "buddy" is recutting the reel, that's his right to change editors, but then that "buddy" can come up with a design himself. If he can't do something that basic, then why is he cutting that reel in the first place?

www.derekmok.com
August 04, 2011 04:27PM
Derek,

Thanks! Yea, I did charge him for the initial reel. However, I didn't charge him for his next update but did for the 2nd one. I totally agree to your point about his "buddy" doing something so basic, and believe me, they are VERY basic, any professional editor should easily be able to replicate what I did.

Thanks again!
August 04, 2011 04:33PM
I totally second Derek.

I've been in this type of situations. A good way out w/o burning bridges is to make believe you will do your best to help.
A few ideas: you either don't remember what font you used... At the time you had several "programs" installed on your computer and you don't know which one you used.... Tell him "might have been After Effects or Photoshop...
Also tell him "shoot, so sorry... I never save this type of projects. I know I should. But you know what let me see what I can find".... And 2 days later you tell him you couldn't find anything....

good luck!
August 04, 2011 04:50PM
> you either don't remember what font you used...

No point in doing that.

> I never save this type of projects. I know I should. But you know what let me see what
> I can find".... And 2 days later you tell him you couldn't find anything....

No no no...that way you're wasting their production time for no reason. That would be you being unprofessional.

If my FX artist told me he doesn't know what he used for something I once paid him to do, I'd lower my opinion of him. Even worse if he actually told me he doesn't know whether it's Photoshop or After Effects.

You don't need to make up an excuse. You don't need to play games or make yourself seem less proficient than you actually are just to put up a smokescreen. Politely let him know the boundaries of your business. If he wants your design eye and expertise, he needs to pay you. If you still have his design template, tell him you can do the new ones but you have to bill him for a minimum of one hour. That kind of title only takes a few minutes to do, anyway.

www.derekmok.com
August 04, 2011 05:05PM
Hey Derek we're talking actor's reel here.... not client...
Of course for a real/paying client you would never do that.
But counting on establishing professional relationship with starting actors with the hope that one day they'll use you again.... with pay... is utopia!!
I leave/work in Hollywood. No actor picks his editor... unless this actor shot his own movie and wants to hire you. In this case there will be a nice pay... as soon as the movie is sold!!! Sure... heard that a lot...
But you'll get credits.
smiling smiley
August 04, 2011 05:27PM
> we're talking actor's reel here.... not client...

The actor in question paid Matt for the first reel. That makes the actor a client. Client or not, I'm certainly not going to make myself seem less proficient. Just because your clients act unprofessional doesn't mean you should. That's precisely what makes a professional.

> But counting on establishing professional relationship with starting actors with the
> hope that one day they'll use you again....with pay...is utopia!!

You didn't read my post carefully enough. I wrote, "So they'll do my projects for free". As in my directing projects. As an indie director, it's very useful to have a stable of actors, musicians etc. who owe you favours. Whatever these actors can afford to pay me for a reel is peanuts, anyway. So the favour can be worth more by comparison.

Also, those actors know other actors, and you can do one free/discounted reel to spread the word. Charge for the rest.

www.derekmok.com
August 04, 2011 05:44PM
If it were me I'd just tell him. I'd also offer to redo the title for an hour of pay if his buddy can't pull it off. For me it's not worth possibly ruining a relationship over. Unless of course the guy paid you thousands and thousands of dollars the first go around, and is paying thousands this time around. I'm guessing it is the relationship that is more important than the couple hundred bucks.
August 04, 2011 10:35PM
If his "buddy" is any good, he'll figure it out. I say screw 'em. You did the work = you should get paid for revisions. Times are tough and your Actor client (yes xavpil, he's a paying client) is being cheap. Actors eye rolling smiley I should know...I was a starving one of those back in the Miami Vice 80's. It's what motivated me to get off my ass and do something productive like Post Production so I could eat.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

August 05, 2011 10:07AM
grafixjoe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I should know...I was a starving one of those back in the Miami Vice 80's.

You were in Miami Vice??
August 05, 2011 10:41AM
Yep. Here's one episode...I am playing "Miguel" - Chauffeur & Bodyguard for Alexander Dykstra. I get killed at the end:

[www.hulu.com]

August 05, 2011 12:55PM
Shotgun to the chest, not good!
August 05, 2011 12:56PM
grafixjoe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yep. Here's one episode...I am playing "Miguel" -
> Chauffeur & Bodyguard for Alexander Dykstra. I get
> killed at the end:

AGH - I just saw Miguel get wasted by a 12-guage - eye popping smiley
August 05, 2011 08:26PM
That was a 12-Guage to the face fellas (2 cameras rolling - 1 take grinning smiley). Didn't you notice he looked out of the hole where the peep hole was blown away - right where my eyeball was on his monitor? They messed up the continuity a bit...dropped the shotgun a little low in his hands...should have had Duddy pointing the gun a little higher on his medium shot. Oh well.

August 13, 2011 10:47AM
in this case, he's not asking you for or to DO anything. i say just tell him what he wants to know and wish him good fortune. youve answered his question. and everyone's a winner.

if he were asking you to gather and provide footage or something, that would be another story.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics