Relinking Camera Sound with Corresponding Clips

Posted by CuttingRoomFloor 
Relinking Camera Sound with Corresponding Clips
August 15, 2011 06:16AM
Hi,
I am currently editing a short film on Final Cut Pro but now find myself in an awkward situation. Just yesterday the director of the film came in and wished to ?play around with the edit?. We have pickups planned and he wanted to make sure that what we planned to shoot would cut in well with the edit, and that it would be all that was needed. I left him alone in the edit suite for a time so that he could experiment with cutting and visualising the end product, and in his moment of inspiration, he ended up making several severe cuts to the film: unfortunately he switched off linked selection (that keeps the audio and video tracks bound together) and now the entire project is out of sync; in fact the audio tracks are a complete mess, and I am unable to revert to an old save file as this would undo the director?s multiple changes. My question is, is there some simple way of reconnecting camera sound with its corresponding clip in the timeline? I am using Final Cut Pro 7.
Re: Relinking Camera Sound with Corresponding Clips
August 15, 2011 10:36AM
> My question is, is there some simple way of reconnecting camera sound with its corresponding
> clip in the timeline?

First thing to find out is if all the audio clips are off by the same amount. If they are, they you just need to highlight all the audio clips and shift them by a set amount (use +- frame numbers for this).

Chances are you're not that lucky...such is the danger of allowing an operator on your system who doesn't know how to deal with sync. If so, you need to use a combination of techniques to restore sync. There's no quickie way. Which method is better will depend on what the situation is:

1. Match Frame from the video back to its synced sound, and re-edit it back into the Sequence.

2. CONTROL-click on the red "sync offset" number and Move/Slip back into sync.

3. If you'd used an audio take that isn't the same as the video, you just have to recut it -- no easy way to get it back.

If the damage is extensive enough, you may, in fact, want to consider using the director's edit as a visual reference and then just recutting a copy of your old Sequence to conform to what he did. If he's that careless with sync, I assume he didn't do any audio/dialogue editing, so you'll only be dealing with image, and conforming an image-only edit is not that hard.

www.derekmok.com
Re: Relinking Camera Sound with Corresponding Clips
August 15, 2011 04:43PM
i second Derek's last suggestion.

surely the directors edit was some sort of rough guide,
and it would be better for you to re-build it from your old, in-sync sequence.

matchframe and re-cut (f-F10) only works if the original edit was a very simple assembly, with no split edits.

nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics