Saving Favorite settings

Posted by Larry Garb 
Saving Favorite settings
August 18, 2011 12:00PM
Under the effects Tab, under Favorites I have stored some setting. Does anybody know where on the computer these are stored, so I can save them? Every time I have to rebuild my final cut I lose these.
Re: Saving Favorite settings
August 18, 2011 12:04PM
They're saved in your preferences file. Use Digital Rebellion's Preference Manager to backup and restore your prefs as needed.

All the best,

Tom
August 18, 2011 12:06PM
Create a project called Favourites and drag them there. Save that project. Whenever you rebuild FCP or trash your preferences you can drag them from the project to the favourites folder.
They are stored in Preferences but I don't think you can extract them from there. You can use Preference Manager to keep multiple sets of preferences and back them up and do all sorts of neat tricks, like have a different scratch disk per project. Worth it if you work in many projects at once

[www.digitalrebellion.com]

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
August 18, 2011 12:24PM
Does anybody know where on your hard drive is the folder where the video transitions are keeped? I mean the ones that are under the effects tab in finalcut.
August 18, 2011 12:34PM
> Does anybody know where on your hard drive is the folder where the video transitions
> are keeped? I mean the ones that are under the effects tab in finalcut.

Nowhere. Or rather, they are stored in codes. Just follow what Tom and Andrew are saying. Effects that have specific parameters can be saved by dragging them into an actual bin in a project file instead of the Favorites bin. Once there, those effects and their parameters are saved as part of the project file and are not subject to change by deleting preferences.

So store them in an actual project file. Copy them to the Favorites bin when you need. Even better, just copy the whole effects bin into a project when you first start it. Project bins are also far more versatile; for example, they can store actual video objects (eg. a Title3D card with specific fonts and layouts, a Slug with video filters applied on it); the Favorites bin can't. That's why I almost never use it except when I make Motion Paths (which have to go into Favorites first).

www.derekmok.com
August 18, 2011 12:50PM
Thanks I got it to work.
August 18, 2011 02:05PM
Here's a tutorial I put up on Vimeo for this exact thing....

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
biscardicreative.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics