G-Raid drives?

Posted by HiDesertAce 
G-Raid drives?
August 20, 2011 04:29PM
I am about to start editing a sequel to a documentary I made a few years ago. All the media has been re-ingested and is sitting on commodity USB drives. I need to transfer everything to firewire drives to edit and was just going to buy G Raid's as that is what I have used in the past. However, I have heard rumblings that G Raid is not as good as it used to be. On the original show, we used a mix of LaCie and GRaid. I will never use LaCie again as all of them failed at one point during post.

My current setup is:

MacBook Pro 15" 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5 (2010 model so no express card, esata is out)
4 GB RAM
FCP 7.03

The footage is HDV and I ingested it at full res and will be editing it that way, don't want to have screw around with putting the tapes back in when I am done and I figured this would be a good way to keep another back up to original mini DV tapes. Its about 9.5 TB worth of material so I am going to put the whole project on 12 TB of drive space.

I have heard good things about CalDigit--should I get 6 of the 2 TB's and daisy chain them together? Or are the rumours about G Raid's overblown and it is OK to go with three 4 TB G-Raids?

Thanks in advance.
Re: G-Raid drives?
August 20, 2011 05:09PM
Forgot to mention that I am also considering:

OWC Mercury Elite Pro Qx2 12.0TB

Would like to hear peoples thoughts on this drive set up as well.

And I will be listing Los Angeles Final Cut Pro Users Group in the special thank you's in the end credits.
August 20, 2011 05:27PM
I used to buy G-Raids when they were based in Santa Monica. I think they've gone downhill in recent years.

Harry
August 22, 2011 06:18PM
We have had 2 G-Raids die of late... I don't think we will going back.
August 25, 2011 09:24PM
I've got 6 G-RAIDs in active rotation, and a few more in storage. The only ones that have died on me have been replaced.

As of now, they have my vote of confidence. Just be sure to get two of the same size and clone them with Super Duper every day or two.
August 26, 2011 09:37AM
Nope...no G-RAIDS for me. Quit them years ago when they sold out to another company. Dead drives became the norm.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics