HELP! AVCHD card/ data transfer issue

Posted by jawwbrakerdan 
HELP! AVCHD card/ data transfer issue
September 01, 2011 10:24AM
hey all. Looking for some help, maybe even more on the "computer side"....

we execute a vast online video program for a client, shooting in the AVC codec. When we "pros shoot," we use the Panasonic HMC 150.

The client, based in the UK, also shoots some stuff themselves with Panasonics prosumer model.

Here's our issue.

They just sent me a harddrive from their shoot, and I"m not sure whether this was user error, or something using a PC "forced them to do" but instead of sending the folder marked "Private" and all its contents, they only sent what was in the stream folder, not the CLIPINF or PLAYLIST folder, Index.bdm file, and movieobj.bdm file. SO......

I have a bunch of mpeg stream clips that FCP will not recognize through the log and transfer process. Anybody got any advice on how I can turn the MTS files into workable files?

I have tried mpegstreamclip and it doesn't recognize them either.

thanks!

dan
Re: HELP! AVCHD card/ data transfer issue
September 01, 2011 11:11AM
Voltaic and ClipWrap can convert the AVCHD .MTS files without the original file structure. I've only used Voltaic and the only description I can give is "painfully slow". Others have said positive things about ClipWrap.

www.derekmok.com
September 03, 2011 12:29AM
What Derek said; Clip Wrap works nicely and adds the ability to transcode to any available QuickTime format as well as generate PCM audio. Neat little utility, only 49.00. Saved my bacon on some PC-ingested AVCHD clips the Mac would not recognize.

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytip:
Summon your Video Scopes with Option - 9 !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack
with FCP7 KeyGuide --
now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
September 04, 2011 05:36PM
Loren, I use ClipWrap all the time and have not found how to "transcode to any available QuickTime format". I find only ClipWrap's menu of 7 codecs and no property choices within these. Unless I'm overlooking something, ClipWrap can't decode the AVCHD to an uncompressed codec, etc.

Voltaic HD does offer full choice of transcodes and all property choices within these. Voltaic HD is painfully slow, although selecting Preferences>Advanced>Faster Conversion helps some.

Dennis Couzin
Berlin, Germany
September 04, 2011 08:30PM
It's true, I don't see uncompressed. But I count 8 popular QT codecs on my version, and ClipWrap's user guide says it shows whatever is installed. I wonder if it's doing some intelligent masking. Three Avid DNxHD flavors are dimmed-- that would bring the list up to 11. I think the difference has to do with what's installed on your system. Why it wouldn't allow uncomp 8-bit and 10-bit is beyond me. Those would be handy for anyone doing greenscreen.

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytip:
Summon your Video Scopes with Option - 9 !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack
with FCP7 KeyGuide --
now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
September 06, 2011 07:21PM
1. Apple Intermediate Codec
2. Apple ProRes 422
3. Apple ProRes 422 HQ
4. Apple ProRes 422 Proxy
5. Apple ProRes 422 LT
6. DV
7. DVCPro HD

plus an 8th is a pretty feeble list of "popular QT codecs". VoltaicHD accesses all the codecs with their parameters which Compressor accesses through Inspector>Encoder.

I think the fundamental difference between two programs is that ClipWrap uses QuickTime to decode the AVCHD while VoltaicHD uses its own decoder. That slow decoder sometimes succeeds with .mts files that QT can't decode.

Dennis Couzin
Berlin, Germany
October 10, 2011 02:33PM
sorry for being absent, had been on a shoot!

thanx so much both for responding! I think since I'm working in FCP and Quicktime based footage in general, I'm gonna give clipwrap a whirl first.

thank you!
October 11, 2011 07:23PM
VoltaicHD looks deeper and cheaper; will definitely check it out. Speed of course is always desired.

- Loren

Today's FCP keytip:
Set a motion effect keyframe instantly with Control-K!

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
October 14, 2011 12:27AM
Have you ever thought about having them send you a copy of the folders without the MTS files in them? You could just put them into the folder where they belong and digest into FCP. It's normally the STREAM folder and all the other files about maybe 40k in size.

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics