September 01, 2011 06:30PM
DM
FC Studio back on sale. True or False?
September 01, 2011 09:19PM
From another forum. Is this BS?

[www.macrumors.com]
Re: Breaking News: Say Hello Again to FCP 7. #FCP7
September 01, 2011 10:43PM
Hmph. Don't know if this is reliable, but if it's true, Apple should've done this in the first place. Now it looks like they have to backpedal, and I don't think it wins back all the lost trust. Especially since so many of us already spent the money to move to another system altogether. I'm still not going to invest any more time to learn another new Apple software for my livelihood.

www.derekmok.com
September 02, 2011 12:34AM
It's just leftover stock. They're not re-releasing it or anything.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
September 02, 2011 01:06AM
Carbon age is over, technically. I doubt anything in Carbon will run post-Lion. Embrace FCP X... or embrace The Others?.

www.strypesinpost.com
September 02, 2011 07:12AM
If they had dropped the price, that might have been a good incentive for folks to really buy in. But it's still $999 for old software that's outdated for today's digital workflow. It's also still EOL.

Personally I would take that money and apply it towards one of the cross grade promotions and move on. Move forward, not back.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
biscardicreative.com
September 02, 2011 11:19AM
Since most people on this forum already own some version of FC, and it doesn't seem like they are offering the upgrade from
older versions, putting it up for sale again seems like a narrow gesture to a few companies that would like to add extra seats.

But like Walter said, why not just use that money to get into something supported.
September 02, 2011 12:23PM
"But like Walter said, why not just use that money to get into something supported"

. . . right . . . although i don't see why Apple wouldn't just keep the FCP structure the same and run it (a little while longer anyway) with a small development team keeping it trim with changing requirements, shame, damn shame.

ce-la-vie,
Bluey
September 02, 2011 02:26PM
bluey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> . . . right . . . although i don't see why Apple
> wouldn't just keep the FCP structure the same and
> run it (a little while longer anyway) with a small
> development team keeping it trim with changing
> requirements, shame, damn shame.
>
> ce-la-vie,
> Bluey

No the real shame of it all is that Apple did not have to re-invent the wheel and create an island. All they had to do was bring the studio suite up to speed with all the digital formats now in use. Then they could add whatever features they wanted to.

But by disrupting the entire workflow and creating the island, they isolated the entire platform from the rest of the creative world. And now I'm not sure how easy it will be to bring back the editing fold.

They're already almost a month behind the deadline Evan announced at our July 27th Atlanta Cutters meeting for releasing the XML code to developers. He stated that Apple instructed him to tell the group that XML code would be released in two weeks from our meeting. So far, I'm told be developers they have not gotten anything and that the SDK is delayed so they can get it right. (Apple's words, not theirs)

From what I understand fixing the trackless system of editing in FCP to the "oh so antiquated way" of assigning audio and video tracks and proving to be very very hard to do. Would probably be easier for Apple just to back to 7 and design the v.8 that we were all looking for. Of course, that's essentially what Premiere Pro CS 5.5 already is.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
biscardicreative.com
September 02, 2011 03:51PM
FCP would have needed to be completely rewritten sooner or later anyway. I can't see the old technologies it uses being around for much longer.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
September 02, 2011 07:01PM
I think most of us agree that a rewrite was necessary, but that Apple didn't have to go all out to reinvent the wheel. In Steve Job's words, the standards have already been cast in stone.. You're going to have to use it.

They could have incorporated most of the new features into the old model and that would have worked. In essence, FCP X isn't all too different from the Avid. We use to go into overwrite segment mode by default, now we default to insert segment mode. It isn't that much newer.

The source/record monitor is so important, and I often use it to match eyeline and continuity. Nothing beats seeing the 2 images together- the frame you are about to cut to and the frame you are cutting from.

The skimmer and filmstrip view makes a mess of editing and everything now jumps to the foreground fighting for your attention. No, I don't want to see every single bloody frame. I just want to see the good bits, which is essentially what editing is about- choosing your shots and cutting out the bad bits

www.strypesinpost.com
September 03, 2011 07:39AM
Jon Chappell Wrote:
> FCP would have needed to be completely rewritten
> sooner or later anyway. I can't see the old
> technologies it uses being around for much longer.

Of course it needed to be re-written for true 64 bit and to keep up with the newer technologies, but Adobe and Avid were both able to do this without destroying the established workflow. And they keep adding new features and new ways to make the editor more efficient.

That's what Apple really needed to do with FCP if they even cared to keep the professional video and film editing market. But I don't think they care about that market at all moving forward. There is a lot more money to be made by Apple selling millions and millions of copies of FCPX to the general public than there is selling a professional package to maybe 200,000 professional users across the globe.

It's a smart business decision to shed the pro market and move more wholly into the consumer market where there are a lot more buyers and they are far less demanding on the new features they would want to see. Heck they don't even ask for new features, they're just excited when something new shows up.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
biscardicreative.com
September 03, 2011 09:46AM
It's a smart business decision to shed the pro market and move more wholly into the consumer market...

Which I'd be okay with it they had only come out and tell us that up front. Apple: "Hey guys, we are no longer supporting the pro market. Start making arrangements to move towards another professional video/film editing application." Instead they put on this dog and pony show after a big hype-fest.
Re: FC Studio back on sale. True or False?
September 04, 2011 08:38PM
Yeah. FCPX has some wonderful function but for established-workflow-addicted, it gets in its own way.

- Loren

Today's FCP 8 keytip:
Summon your Video Scopes by pinching the YAK !

www.neotrondesign.com
September 04, 2011 10:21PM
I downloaded a trail version of Adobe Production Premium. PP 5.5 is nice and a bit smoother than FCP 7, but that might be the 64bit thing that helps. First problem I ran into is that with the Matrox box... external monitoring is not there. There is no way to do a Video Preview through the Matrox. (It will work fine using AE). There is a workaround for PP 5.5, but it's very complicated and no guarantees it will work. So Adobe is out of the running for now.

Comparing FCP 7 to PP 5.5, in my view, FCP 7 is far superior. All Apple had to do is rewrite it to be 64-bits and fix a few issues. What a shame :-\
September 05, 2011 07:45AM
Russ Blaise Wrote:
First problem I ran into is that with the
> Matrox box... external monitoring is not there.
> There is no way to do a Video Preview through the
> Matrox. (It will work fine using AE). There is a
> workaround for PP 5.5, but it's very complicated
> and no guarantees it will work. So Adobe is out of
> the running for now.

I thought Matrox was working with PPro with the latest version of the drivers from Matrox. I'll have to look into that.

Our AJA Kona boards are working fine with the product, a little sluggish at the moment but AJA is working on new drivers / plug-ins at the moment to address that. For me, PPro is what FCP 8 should have been.

In the end, we'll have a combination of Premiere Pro and Avid Media Composer if they get MC6 working with the AJA Kona boards like they keep promising.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
biscardicreative.com
September 05, 2011 11:00AM
Walter, I just found how you get the Matrox to work with PPro 5.5.

1): Use the Matrox presets when you started a new project or sequence.

2): Set the player to Matrox, as the default is Adobe. Preferences>Player Settings>Set it to "Matrox Player".

Make sure you have the latest drivers from Matrox that is for PPro 5.5

There are few message boards out there that talk about this, but with no final solution. I posted the question on the Adobe PPro forum and got my answer this morning.
September 05, 2011 11:17AM
That's essentially the same workflow as AJA, though in our case, we leave the Player Settings set to Adobe for the time being as setting that to AJA makes playback very sluggish when trying to view material in the Source monitor.

AJA is working on updating their plug-in right now to solve that issue. Glad you found the solution!

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
biscardicreative.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics